Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:05 pm 

Dear Yubico-forum users,

I recently bought an yubikey, and trying to set it up with ssh (two factor authentication).
Going through all the steps from the Hak5 video, plus a lot of forums, github wiki's and google code groups, I still can't get it to work. (It's making me not sleep).

Some details:
(Yeah, the server is an raspberry pi)

Operating System: Linux 3.2.20-rpi1+ #5 Sun Jun 17 15:59:27 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

Versions:

Libykclient-dev 2.3-3
Libykclient3 2.3-3
Libkeyutils1 1.4-1
Libyubikey0 1.5-1

yubico-c-client ==> latest pull from github
yubikey-personalization ==> latest pull from github
yubico-pam ==> latest pull from github

Hereby I want to ask what is the solution to this error code:

<--snip-->

[pam_yubico.c:pam_sm_authenticate(901)] conv returned 55 bytes
[pam_yubico.c:pam_sm_authenticate(919)] Skipping first 11 bytes. Length is 55, token_id set to 12 and token OTP always 32.
[pam_yubico.c:pam_sm_authenticate(926)] OTP: xxxx ID: xxxx
[pam_yubico.c:pam_sm_authenticate(941)] Extracted a probable system password entered before the OTP - setting item PAM_AUTHTOK
[pam_yubico.c:pam_sm_authenticate(957)] ykclient return value (106): Server response signature was invalid (BAD_SERVER_SIGNATURE)
[pam_yubico.c:pam_sm_authenticate(997)] done. [Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info]

</--snip-->

I can only login to ssh with the yubikey, if I put 'sufficient' instead of 'required' in /etc/pam.d/sshd.
However, making auth sufficient, it isn't two factor authentication anymore.

[/etc/pam.d/sshd]
<--snip-->
auth required pam_yubico.so id=xxxx key=xxxxx= debug
</--snip-->

Now the ssh server is only requesting the password, whereby I can login over ssh (without yubikey, even though all the configuration options are set).
I am using the YubiCloud to verify the key. (default)
When I try to authenticate, to the default yubico servers, using ykclient only it is successful.

When making yubikey-personalization, I also get the following warning:

ykpersonalize.c:69: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast

Thanks in advance.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

The BAD_SERVER_SIGNATURE error is returned from the client when the signature on the server response doesn't match with the api-key inputted. Verify that the you've inputted the correct key from https://upgrade.yubico.com/getapikey/

/klas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:37 am 

Klas-at-Yubico wrote:
Hello,

The BAD_SERVER_SIGNATURE error is returned from the client when the signature on the server response doesn't match with the api-key inputted. Verify that the you've inputted the correct key from https://upgrade.yubico.com/getapikey/

/klas

Yeah, did that. Still get BAD_SERVER_SIGNATURE (even though I tried a few api keys, and waited a time).
Now when I issue ykclient --apikey KEY ID OTP, it gives me the 106 BAD_SERVER_SIGNATURE error.

[EDIT]:

I reinstalled everything, and I stil get the 106 error.
Also, I noticed that I have multiple versions of libusb. Is this normal?

Code:
user@test:~$ dpkg -l | grep yu
ii  libkeyutils1                      1.4-1                           Linux Key Management Utilities (library)
rc  libyubikey0                       1.5-1                           Yubikey OTP handling library runtime
user@test:~$ dpkg -l | grep liby
ii  libyaml-perl                      0.71-1                          YAML Ain't Markup Language
ii  libyaml-syck-perl                 1.12-1                          Perl module providing a fast, lightweight YAML loader and dumper
ii  libykclient-dev                   2.3-3                           Yubikey client library development files
ii  libykclient3                      2.3-3                           Yubikey client library runtime
rc  libyubikey0                       1.5-1                           Yubikey OTP handling library runtime
user@test:~$ dpkg -l | grep libusb
ri  libusb-0.1-4                      2:0.1.12-16                     userspace USB programming library
ri  libusb-1.0-0                      2:1.0.8-2                       userspace USB programming library
ii  libusb-1.0-0-dev                  2:1.0.8-2                       userspace USB programming library development files
ii  libusb-dev                        2:0.1.12-16                     userspace USB programming library development files
rc  libusbmuxd1                       1.0.4-1                         USB multiplexor daemon for iPhone and iPod Touch devices - library

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You seem to be quite correct. I've started up an emulated ARM machine and I run into signature problems, something is buggy with the request signing on ARM. I'm working on finding and fixing it.

/klas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello again,

I've now pushed a possible fix (https://github.com/Yubico/yubico-c-clie ... 0ed97cda40) for this issue to github, with this fix my emulated ARM machine works as it should.

Thanks for taking the time to report this issue!

/klas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:37 pm 

Klas-at-Yubico wrote:
Hello again,

I've now pushed a possible fix (https://github.com/Yubico/yubico-c-clie ... 0ed97cda40) for this issue to github, with this fix my emulated ARM machine works as it should.

Thanks for taking the time to report this issue!

/klas

[EDIT]:
Wow! Thanks alot!!! Saved my day! No thanks, thank you ;-0
I hereby confirm that SSH-yubikey two-factor authentication is grand on an Rasperry Pi. (ARM)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 pm 

Would you mind documenting how you've setup your raspberrypi for yubikey authentication.

Taking it a step further, a raspberrypi port of the yubiradius server would be excellent for a home authentication server.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:52 am 

fozzy wrote:
Would you mind documenting how you've setup your raspberrypi for yubikey authentication.

Taking it a step further, a raspberrypi port of the yubiradius server would be excellent for a home authentication server.

Hello, I've published an optimized Raspberry Pi binary image of multiOTP open source, a strong authentication RADIUS server with a simple web GUI that supports Yubikeys and also OATH-HOTP and OATH-TOTP hardware or software tokens. multiOTP open source is based on our open source PHP library.

You can have a look here: http://www.multiotp.net/

And the direct download of the Raspberry Pi image is here: http://download.multiotp.net/raspberry/

Best regards,

Andre Liechti
Project leader of multiOTP open source

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, this is interesting.

Tom