Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:34 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Authentication failure
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:30 pm 

Hello

In the last two days I have add a failure in authentication when using LastPass. I have add to re-upload my credentials to the Yubico server.

The only thing I can think of that I have done is to generate OTP's to demonstrate. If this is the cause then how many OTP's can I generate with out the authentication failing?

Although this was not the case yesterday as it happen when the computer went into a two hour standby.

Being a newbie to Yubico I am experiencing some problems.

Robert…

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Robert,

Please let me help you and, let me help you help us :)

IF your Yubikey is working as intended please keep it. As soon as you will have ANY problem do the following:

go on http://demo.yubico.com

try to authenticate the OTP and screenshot the technical details and send it to me via the forum and to the support@yubico.com Ask via e-mail support@yubico.com for a warranty replacement which will happen immediately by following the support's instructions.

I am asking you this because i would be happy to narrow down the issue you have been experiencing.

Your Yubikey can generate a very very very large number of OTP so you should not worry about that.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:34 pm 

Hi Tom

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I will follow your directions if this authentication issue comes up again, which I hope it will not. I only generated about five OTP's that was not connected online. So that rules that out.

Hopefully it's a temporary glitch that will not happen again.

Robert…

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:57 am 

Hi Tom

I'm afraid my Yubikey has failed again. It was working perfectly well last night but when I got up this morning and tried to login to LastPass I got the authentication failure message. I have followed your instructions and attached the results. This time I have not tried to upload the credentials to the server.

I will also follow your instructions by requesting a replacement under warranty from support.

Regards,
Robert……

Attachments:
File comment: Authentication failure results
Robert_Yubikey.jpg
Robert_Yubikey.jpg [ 185.05 KiB | Viewed 5301 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dear Robert,

For the Yubikey to work on the Yubicloud you will have to upload the information on the YubiCloud.

You can do this by clicking the "upload to yubico" button in the personalization tool.

Please ask support@yubico.com for a replacement, we apologize for the issue you are experiencing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:43 am 

Tom wrote:
Dear Robert,

For the Yubikey to work on the Yubicloud you will have to upload the information on the YubiCloud.

You can do this by clicking the "upload to yubico" button in the personalization tool.

Please ask support@yubico.com for a replacement, we apologize for the issue you are experiencing.
As I explained when I first raised this issue I have uploaded the credentials to the server. The problem is that after a few hours the OTP cannot be authenticated by the server. All in all I have already uploaded the credentials to the server on about three occasions the most recent was yesterday morning. The key stopped working 24 hrs later.

I did not re-upload the credentials today because I was following your instructions and no point using the key if the authentication fails as specially if I am not in reach of my own computer.

However if you want me to re-upload the credentials I will do so if it will help you isolate where the problem is occurring.

Robert…

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, we want you just to replace the Yubikey.

I was just re-writing it for customers who might read the thread and have forgotten to upload them first ;-) You never know...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:46 pm 

Hi Tom

I have received my replacement Yubikey today and have returned the old one. Personally I find it hard to believe they could be a fault in the Yubikey mainly because I have a lot of faith in modern solid-state devices and when faults to turn up they seem to be in batches. I'm still wondering if it's something I did when I programmed it.

This one I'm not going to touch, what I will do is to order a new Yubikey and I will program that with two static passwords.

If you're able to get a chance, is it possible to let me know what you have found out.

Thanks again
Robert…