Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We just got an isse report from a customer using the Yubikey with Parallels VM 4.0.

The issue is that when the OTP string has been outputted, the input is just flooeded with ENTER keystrokes. The exact same key works fine on the same customer's Mac- and Windows machines.

My current hypothesis is that the 'key released' keystroke after the trailing ENTER keystroke gets lost for some reason and the key repeat kicks in as if the key was held down, thereby flooding the input buffer with ENTER keystrokes.

I have a slight suspicion that this is a timing issue related to this particular environment and that it might go away if we simply added one or two extra 'key release' keystrokes in the end. (A standard method for good ol' Teleprinter transfers btw :) Alternatively, adding an extra delay of 50 ms or so after the final key release is sent.

We'll try this particular setting by enabling the character pacing feature to see if the problem goes away.

Have anyone seen something like this, either in VM or elsewhere ?

Regards,

Jakob E
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:07 pm 

I use vmware (not parallels). Sometimes when the OTP is entering to the VM I see a pause, followed by the same character repeated several times. I just assumed this had to do with the virtualization and the fact that the yubikey types much faster than a human.

I'm not sure if this provides any useful info, but it sounded similar.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:17 pm 

I got my Yubikey's yesterday, and I have the exact same problem (Yubikey 1, fw 1.03.5, parallels 4 with xp sp3).

I can confirm that it is the last keyup-stroke that seems to get lost, because if I configure the key to not send CR after OTP, the last character gets repeated instead of enter.

I have also tried to set the delay to max, 30ms additional, but that does not help in my case. It works fine in OS X Leopard though.

I will be glad to provide more info if needed =)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for this information. It seems to confirm this hypothesis. Strange though as I've never heard of it anywhere else...

We're keen to sort this issue out. I can put together a test version of the Yubikey that sends an additional key-up, maybe even adding a short delay before it.

Please send me an e-mail at jakob at yubico dot com with your delivery address and I'll send a key for evaluation to see if this fixes the problem.

With the best regards,

JakobE
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:12 am 

I have now tried an Yubi2 in parallels as well, and I am happy to say that this works fine on my computer, both when attached to the mac, and accessed by winxp, and also when I redirect the usb-device to be connected direct by the virtual winxp.

I also reprogrammed my yubi1 with the latest p-tool, but the yubi1 still has this error. Since it now seems to only be the yubi1, I'm not sure I you still want to try out some solutions, but if you are, I can send you my address if you want me as a test subject =)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe this thread can help ?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=252&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10

The fact that the Yubikey works but is not recognized by the configuration tool seems to have something to do with HID devices being managed by the VM in some way. If they do not appear in the Device Manager, the config tool won't find them.

If you happen to have an ordinary USB keyboard - please try the same. Does it appear in the Device Manager ? If not, it is the same issue as with the Yubikey.

Any experimental help from someone with a pegged up Paralllels environment would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

JakobE
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico.