Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:38 am 

I have two of the blue security keys. They do not have serial numbers etched into them like normal Yubikeys. The personalization tool also does not recognize them because they are are not normal Yubikeys.

How can I get the serial number and firmware revisions for these devices. At the moment I have to keep VERY close attention to them because I cannot tell them apart!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A short explanation:
There is no serial number or marking by design on the Security Key by Yubico.
If you'd lose that device none would be able to associate it to you (assuming a corporate environment)

Usually you second (backup keys should be stored somewhere safe in case you'd lose/break your main device)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:03 pm 

Tom2 wrote:
A short explanation:
There is no serial number or marking by design on the Security Key by Yubico.
If you'd lose that device none would be able to associate it to you (assuming a corporate environment)

Usually you second (backup keys should be stored somewhere safe in case you'd lose/break your main device)

That makes sense: the design eschews a distinct ID visible to all. Each negotiated-with website can cryptographically validate that key against a previous negotiation with that particular website (usually associated with a particular user account), but cannot validate the key for other sites.

Still, I'd like to see the configuration tool recognize that there's a U2F-only key inserted, even if there's no particular key-specific identifiable data available.

Though...my understanding is that there is supposedly a manufacturer/batch group identifier (which is not unique to the key, but is shared by n keys in a batch of n keys). Perhaps that could also be presented, if it's outwardly readable?

Thanks.

Brendan