Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:32 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Config tool - poll
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The new configuration tool has been out for almost two months now. We've handled a few support issues and questions, but we're now keen to get some more general feedback.

- Does it do the job in a logical and intuitive way ?
- Any task that is particuarly prone to cause errors or frustration ?
- Any particular feature that is missing ?
- Any documentation issues that should be fixed or things that are not properly explained ?

All feedback is highly appreciated

Regards,

JakobE
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Post subject: Re: Config tool - poll
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:19 pm 

I frequently hit the "Finished" button when I should have hit the "Run" button. You get used to pressing the button at the bottom going through all of the steps so the run button should be moved there as well.

I am not actually sure what "Finished" really means. It starts almost at the beginning and remembers some but not all of the previous settings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:56 pm 

The "remember" check box does not seem to work as I would expect it to.

- When I set it to remember the public identity it changes the first 12 characters the generated onetime password each time.
- It does not remember what I previously entered for the private key.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:15 am 

The new tool is quite good and user-friendly. The only thing that didn't work for me was the "use modhex coding rather than hexadecimal" option. A few suggestions could be:

- I don't see how to select a log file except for the "ask for log output file name" option
- It's not exceptionally obvious on the final screen that I can keep plugging in more YubiKeys..
- "Finish" could be renamed to "Home"
- Perhaps the output format can be closer to the KSM one
- Encryption of the output file :) One idea is to use a password-mode YubiKey to store the encryption key.

Also, will the final release include an SDK?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:47 pm 

OK, first, big caveat: I am a brand new Yubikey user: just got my 2 yesterday afternoon.

I actually am not finding the config utility very easy to use. My biggest issue is I thought the utility would make it clear and simple to set my Yubikey to have both OTP and Static Password capability. I have not been able to get it to work. I can get one kind or the other, but not both.

More generally speaking, I find there is not enough documentation and help to get new users started. What there is looks to me to be geared toward techies like me, not the average person. If I'm having some issues, I can't imagine how my wife, or mother, would react.

[edit] OK, I got it. I was confused by the "Write to Configuration 1" and "Write to Configuration 2 (Yubikey 2 only)". I thought the "Write to Configuration 1" was referring to the v1 Yubikey, not the first configuration location inside the v2 key. Perhaps it would be better if the utility auto-detected which version of key it's working with and only display "Write to Configuration 2" if it's a v2 Yubikey. That way the "(Yubikey 2 only)" could be removed. I think that's what was confusing me — it looked like that was the configuration to use if you have a v2.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks - We'll make an update to the config tool and post the updated COM-component by the end of this week.

Regards,

JakobE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:37 am 

Jacob,

Would be possible to release a 64-bit build of the COM component as well? Or even better the source code?

Thanks,
Eugene

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:24 am 

I find the config tool pretty easy to use. A couple of points:

1. I would like it if the 'Test OTP output' option were available from the outset, I can't use it to test the output of my key without re-programming it. I guess it is not available at the start because the config tool doesn't have the AES key?

2. When configuring a static OTP using the advanced method, there is a bit of a quirk whereby if you leave the length set to 32 then press next it goes to the private key screen, but if you then press back if goes to the public key screen. However, anything you set is ignored at the final programming because the key length is only 32. Perhaps the length should be set to 44 or the user reminded so or something when selecting advanced mode?

3. Not really related to the tool I suppose but it would be useful to be able to swap configs or edit flags such as 'send enter as last character' without affecting the key - currently if you want to change any of these it means re-programming, which resets counters and invalidates the key at yubico, so you have to generate a new vv- identity and upload it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for input. We're releasing the COM component and updated config tool later this week. Sorry for the delay. From now on, all "official" Yubico Windows binaries will be digitally signed by us to take away some concerns regarding potentially malign software being downloaded.

We'll take a look on making a 64-bit version of the configuration component.

Yes - the reason the test option is blocked is that there is no AES key available. We could of course add the possibility to paste in a key in a field.

Next firmware upgrade will include a function to swap existing configurations. Several people have asked for it.

Regards,

JakobE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:39 am 

Thanks for the new release. l really appreciate the digital signature.