Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yubikey Logon Disabled
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

Since 2014/10/13 the forum.yubico.com has disabled the Yubikey support for log-on. This is to allow non-Yubikey user to be able to access our forum in the upcoming weeks to discuss latest news and features.

We will re-enable this feature, without warning, if subject of spam or after the news hits the peak of the curve.

Best Regards,
Tommaso.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:52 pm 

I think you mean 2014/10/13, even the Americans are not crazy enough to reverse the month and day when following the year! :-)

I just checked the register page, and I still see the YubiKey OTP field as required. Clemens reports that it is also required, and leaving it blank or entering garbage are not possible.

Question: Will accounts created during the next 2-3 weeks be able to login again once the YubiKey login is re-enabled? It would be a shame if not. If they are able to post, I guess that would make the YubiKey logon permanently optional on the forum...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, apparently our customization was so strict that phpBB disable mod wasnt happy with that.
Now it should be fixed i have registered a user without Yubikey.

If you guys test it out would be great!

To answer your question: We will re-enable the Yubikey logon probably and we do want people to login without Yubikeys in order to prevent spam, hijaking, etc etc
The reason why we temporally disabled this is for upcoming news which may lead to lot of support requests. For the future, users will have to get a Yubikey.

So yes, if they dont get a Yubikey they will be locked out of the forum again.

We understand that this could be frustrating for some, however it makes our community spam/hack free.

Thanks again for the feedback!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Everyone,

In an effort to allow more users to access this community we tried to disable the Yubikey with Yubico OTP required at logon on.
Unfortunately in less then 12 hours we were flooded by spam/bot brute-forcing accounts and pizza delivery pranks.

We have now re-enabled Yubikey at logon and hopefully removed all the spam/fake users. We apologize for the inconvenience.

However, if a user without a Yubikey would like to join i can manually subscribe him for now. ( this is limited to my free time and the number of requests i will receive)
Remember that you can still disable Yubikey at logon in the user control panel options (not recommended)

We are looking in deploying a more modern forum community in 2015.

All users registered after 4:43 UTC +0 of the 13th of October 2014, will have to register again.

Best Regards,
Tom.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:01 pm 

Any chance U2F keys will be added as a authentication option in the near future?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eventually, we are considering moving to a new forum platform, thus we will not spend engineering time on this unless we will keep using PHPBB.

We looked into NODEbb, if you guys have good ideas please share we will look into them.

Tom.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:47 am 

vBulletin is one of the good ones, but the choice of solution might (hopefully) also depend on some considerations about social media features, community features, etc. also?

If so, then the Drupal (7) CMS has a lot of tools, including a working Yubikey integration.

https://www.drupal.org/project/yubikey

The FORUM of Drupal, however, is not a proper forum solution, therefore there are other extensions like:

Integration with phpBBforum, but the development is stalled, pending some extra interest in development:
https://www.drupal.org/project/phpbbforum

vbDrupal - vBulletin integration, also stalled development pending more interest:
https://www.drupal.org/project/vbdrupal

And community solutions like:
https://www.drupal.org/project/commons
https://www.drupal.org/project/openatrium

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]