Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:21 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:26 pm 

I have a Yubico 2 firmware 2.01.1 and use it mainly in OTP mode for authenticating with LastPass. I would also like to use the static password option for use with TrueCrypt.

As I understand it I can program a static password into the second configuration of the key. Then if I hold the Yubikey button down for less than 5 seconds it types a OTP, more than 5 seconds and it types the static password.

However after programming a static password into configuration 2 and holding the button for over 5 seconds nothing it typed, the key light blinks rapidly a few times.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for any help

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:18 pm 

Mine does this if I don't hold it down for the full 5 seconds, it will also do it if I wait too long. Try counting quickly 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005. You can practice in a text editor like notepad to get the timing right.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:17 am 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

The YubiKey 2.0 has two configuration slots. When the YubiKey is shipped the first configuration slot is factory reprogrammed to OTP mode and the second configuration slot is left unchanged i.e. blank.

If you press the YubiKey button for 1-3 seconds the first configuration slot will emit the password. If you press the YubiKey for 4-5 seconds the second configuration slot will emit the password.

As you have reprogrammed the second configuration slot for the static password, you need to press the YubiKey button for 4-5 seconds so that the second configuration slot will emit the static password.

We hope this helps!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:12 am 

Hi,

I'm facing a similar problem with my yubikey. So I left the first slot intact (generates OTP as programmed by Yubico) and the second one I've set up to generate a static password.

I noticed the following:

- Touching the button for 1s - 2s -> generates OTP
- Touching the button for around 3s -> blinks three times and does nothing
- Touching the button for around 5s-7s -> generates the static password
- Touching the button for around 8s -> blinks three times and does nothing

What I find confusing is that in the manual it says:
Quote:
Short press 0.3 – 1.5 seconds) and release – OTP from configuration #1 is yielded
Long press (2.5 – 5 seconds) and release – OTP from configuration #2 is yielded

From there i understand that I need to press from 2.5s to 5s to get my static password, which is not true in my case.
Is the manual wrong or what? And what do the three short blinks in the second case mean (i understand that the blinks in the last case mean "user initiated static password update")?

Another question, after generating an OTP or static password, the key's led stays off for 3-4 seconds. Is that normal?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:18 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

There is a bit of overlap between recognizing config 1 and config 2 pressing. The documentation is actually not fully up to date here.

Config 1: 0.2 to 1.5 seconds
Config 2: 2 to 4 seconds

The "gap" between 1.5 and 2.0 is to prevent users from learning something that is close to the pivot point. If you then hold slightly too long or slightly too short, nothing shall happen.

Password update occurs after 8.0 to seconds or longer.

Quote:
Regarding the question that the light goes out for a few seconds when
an OTP is yielded

Yes - that's intentional. There is by design a short delay to prevent multiple unintentional triggers.