Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:35 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:34 pm 

First time here and sure I will incur wroth...

But I've just spent £40 on a Yubikey 4 nano and it seems that:

It does not have VIP, so cannot use with PayPal or eBay UK
U2F only works with Chrome (which I do not use)
I have to install software to get Windows login
There is no UK keyboard option in the Static Password section of the personalisation tool

Overall not impressed so far, please tell me I am missing something(s) here.

Is there any user's support documentation specifically for Yubikey 4 or does it all just come under the Neo stuff?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:39 pm 

There is an add-on for mozilla firefox that handles U2F.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:11 am 

smssms wrote:
First time here and sure I will incur wroth...

But I've just spent £40 on a Yubikey 4 nano and it seems that:

It does not have VIP, so cannot use with PayPal or eBay UK
U2F only works with Chrome (which I do not use)
I have to install software to get Windows login
There is no UK keyboard option in the Static Password section of the personalisation tool

Overall not impressed so far, please tell me I am missing something(s) here.

Is there any user's support documentation specifically for Yubikey 4 or does it all just come under the Neo stuff?

I cannot speak to much towards the UK keyboard issue since I don't have one. Maybe someone from the UK can chime in on that. However the VIP token is a special token that was for sale on the site. It still is for sale but you need to email Yubico for purchase.

Follow these links for more info on the VIP tokens and what they can do.

https://www.yubico.com/applications/symantec/
https://www.yubico.com/wp-content/uploa ... eb2016.pdf

As for the Yubikey 4 it can do everything the Yubikey Neo can do except NFC. On the same token Yubikey 4 has stronger cryptography than the Yubikey Neo. The U2F is new technology that Google helped develop which is why you currently see it dominant in Google Chrome. Yubico nor Fido Alliance can't make other browser adapt U2F. Also U2F is slow to pick up with many sites. But there has been progress and we may see more sites and more browser adopt U2F in the future. As far as the Windows login yes you will need to install software. This is how the key does the challenge response. The other option which I have done is I used Duo Security which you have to install their RDP software to protect the windows logon. What is neat about their is that if you install the Yubikey on the admin console you can use the Yubico OTP to authenticate. This will free up the second slot for other uses. Other feature this Yubikey has is the smart card. You can go to StartSSL or Comodo SSL and set up an S/MIME certificate. This will allow you to sign and encrypt emails. You can also store all your tokens for site like Facebook, Microsoft, Google, Dropbox and more using the Yubico Authenticator. Now I know you have the 4 but with the Neo you could also use this Yubico Authenticator with your Android phone so you aren't limited to the desktop. This makes storing your secret key much more secure than storing them on the phones which can be compromised. With this device there is so much you can do. But it does come with a steep learning curve. You will need to go through all the documentation. You will need to ask questions. And to get the best out of your key you will need to do the research. But rest assured what you have is not useless. That is a powerful tool and once sites start to implement the various security technologies it will become much more powerful.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:23 am 

but cant for login just rather u2f used than classic challenge response? U2F doesnt eat a slot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:42 am 

My1 wrote:
but cant for login just rather u2f used than classic challenge response? U2F doesnt eat a slot.

You might consider smartcard login. Normally this requires a domain account, but there's software to use for this - eID Authenticate would do it.

http://www.mysmartlogon.com/products/ei ... icate.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/eidauthenticate/

SmartCard credentials have their own four slots that don't count against the two Yubikey OTP slots.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:23 am 

well EIDAuthenticate is great but sadly doesnt work for Pro version unless you pay for it and it isnt cheap (65€+VAT = 77,35€) that's for each PC.
and while they write that they "are thinking about a home use program", but they have done so for years now.
and what makes it worse, they completely removed the community version because of some new feature of windows 10, which allows to "bypass" the login screen (I guess they talk about win Hello).
how about all the ppl who DONT use windows 10?