Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:08 am 

Attempted to install YubiKey Logon on a Windows 7 Home Premium edition. Installation succeeded however the user in the "Select user to configure" droplist was listed as "Windows7" however the current user account was Administrator.

Selected the "Windows7" user then selected the "Configure" button which returned a "Challenge/Response failed" type of message.

Subsequently uninstalled the YubiKey Logon software. Verified my Yubikey still works with existing services.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

When the software reports that challenge-response failed it's because it fails doing the challenge-response with the key.
Before you run the configuration tool you have to make sure the key is configured for hmac-sha1 challenge-response in slot2, using the YubiKey personalization tool.

/klas

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:17 am 

Used the Personalization Tool to configure Challenge-Response for slot 2. Successfully installed Yubikey Logon software and configured Yubikey as expected.

Restarted machine. Logon screen appears as a normal Windows 7 logon screen without any indication that Yubikey Logon was activated.

Able to logon with my normal password while a Yubikey challenge is rejected.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

So it's probably just what you wrote in the first post, that the user in the dropdown was "Windows 7". Does the dropdown contain your ordinary user as well, or is it just that "Windows 7" user?

/klas

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:17 am 

Here's my final response. Yes "Windows7" was the only user listed in the dropdown list. I added a new user to the machine and it was listed with the correct user name, user was "Developer" in this case. FYI "Windows7" should have been user "Administrator".

After restarting the machine I did see under the logon box the statement that Yubikey was enabled for logon. However the logon failed for my Yubikey challenge but suceeded with my system password.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:03 am 

You aren't possibly trying to push the Yubikey's button thinking that you should be logging in with a Yubikey OTP are you? The way it works (took me a while to work this out too) is that you still log in with your Windows password, but the difference is that with Yubilogon, you actually have to have your Yubikey inserted when you log in as well. If you remove the Yubikey, then try logging in with your Windows password, it should refuse to log you in.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:42 pm 

Kyanar,

You are absolutely right that was my use case. I'm on a trip right now but afterwards will re-install Logon software to verify all is correct. Thanks for the heads up.

For Yubico: Although verifying Yubikey against Windows password is nice my preferred use case is to replace POP (Plain Old Password) with Yubikey.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:33 am 

Reinstalled Yubikey Logon with success. Once I understood that Yubikey augments the Windows password and does not replace it then I was able to use it as designed. FYI: My ultimate goal would be to replace password with Yubikey.