Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:25 pm 

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but for some reason, whatever I set the static password to be using scan code mode in the windows configuration utility, it always has some characters that I didn't enter.

For instance, I set the password to be "test", but the Yubikey actually outputs it as "testSCoE£/:A0ak", as though it's padding to a certain password length. Even setting it to "testtesttesttest" to make up the max 16 character password, the Yubikey then outputs "testtesttesttest+.U=Ta>AAA@=d+".

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong would be great.

I've just received the key today BTW, and it's running FW 2.2.1

Cheers
Ventmore

Edit: Maybe this should have been in the general forum, but I wasn't sure if it was a problem with the config utility...or the way I have the config utility setup :)

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:53 pm 

I am having the exact same problem. For example, I have purchased two keys. I want both keys to output the same exact 16 character password. For the life of me, I cannot get the keys to just output the 16 characters. They always output the 16 then some further characters - I assume some part of a OTP. I need it to be exact everytime.

I have attached a PDF with screen prints of each step. For the "Scan Code Input" field I'm typing "1234567890123456" (without the quotes). Exactly 16 characters.

Firmware: 2.2.1

Please help!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:48 pm 

+1, same issue here.

Wanted to use configuration 2 for a static password that already exists and I don't want to type each time, but the Yubikey is adding characters at the end no matter how long or what my password is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:00 pm 

I've emailed Yubico support twice, once on Friday, and once yesterday, and I haven't heard anything back yet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:19 pm 

I've just received a reply from Yubico Support.

Quote:
Our team has identified a bug in Windows Personalization Tool which is causing this issue. We are working on releasing a new version of the Windows Personalization Tool in next couple of days. We will keep you updated.

Thank you for your patience!

Edit: It would seem that Yubico emailed me before I posted above, but it didn't make it through to my account immediately for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:23 pm 

Looks like Yubico just updated the Yubikey Configuration Utility (v2.2.0). It solves this problem. In fact it now supports longer fixed static passwords (up to 38 characters). Thank you Yubico! I set config 1 for a 16 character password and config 2 for my 30 character password. Nice.

I know this static password stuff is really not the original intent of the yubikey, yet it works great for TrueCrypt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:31 pm 

Working a treat for me now too.

Thanks guys! :)