Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: SSH authentication
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 pm 

I just found a post from romain, also related to pam, which I first discarded because of kerberose.

But, I downloaded those rpms instead and modified a bit the config to use default api servers instead of my own, and now all works well.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Post subject: Re: SSH authentication
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:27 am 

rossnick wrote:
If I change the sufficient for required, I see :

# ssh rossnick@localhost
Yubikey for `rossnick':
Password:
Read from remote host localhost: Connection reset by peer
Connection to localhost closed.

Logs show me that the yubikey auth worked, and see this :

sshd[31293]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for rossnick from 127.0.0.1 port 42127 ssh2
sshd[31293]: fatal: PAM: pam_setcred(): Authentication service cannot retrieve user credentials

in my secure log.

I have ChallengeResponseAuthentication, PasswordAuthentication and UsePAM at yes in my sshd config file. If ChallengeResponseAuthentication is set to no, I did not get a prompt for the yubikey at all.

I have _exactly_ this problem on Ubuntu 10.10. I've compiled the yubico lib and pam lib from the latest git source.

I set up as per the instructions but if I set "auth required" in my pam.d/sshd file and log in, I get the yubikey prompt... followed by my password prompt.. but the second I type in my password I get disconnected and the following error shows up in my /var/log/auth.log:

Mar 3 10:15:47 ************ sshd[7537]: fatal: PAM: pam_setcred(): Authentication service cannot retrieve user credentials

If I change it to "auth sufficient" in the pam.d/sshd file then it works fine I can log in no problems with just the yubikey and no password prompt. I don't _mind_ using the yubikey as my only auth.. but I would _much_ rather have the two factor of my PW + the yubikey.

Any suggestions as to why this is dying with the required option?