Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:41 pm 

OK, I think I might be losing my mind here a little bit. Hopefully, I can make this work, but I think I am too close to the problem at this point.

I am trying to get Yubikey SSH and Yubikey local log on working together. Or more specifically working correctly together.

Right now, I have the local log on working fantastic. It required my Yubikey anytime I want to login locally to the machine, or the screen saver kicks in, exactly how I would like it.

Then I moved on to getting SSH working with the yubikey. Initially following the PAM/ssh instructions it would not work at all unless I inserted the Yubikey into the machine I wanted to ssh INTO as opposed to the machine I was sshing FROM. I thought that was very weird, but then I figured out that within the pam ssh config file it was calling @include common-auth and once I commented that out, I was able to use my yubikey as intended to ssh into the computer. Insert the yubikiy into the local machine that I am on, ssh into the machine I want to access, enter my password followed by pressing the button on the yubikey and I was in!

I though I was a happy camper but when I attempt to sudo (or su for that matter) my passwords were failing. So back to the logs I went and found out that in order to su or sudo via ssh, the yubikey had to be reinserted into the computer I was sshing INTO again.

I think that it has to do with how (or in what order) PAM is looking for passwords or auths, but I am not sure and one thing I have learned is that it is very easy to lock yourself out of a box by messing around with PAM.

Has someone got this working and would you be willing to share how...?

Many Thanks

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:31 am 

HELP....anyone...anyone...?

New machine, still trying to make this work....

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:38 pm 

AND or OR? As far as I know, Yubikey local log on is indeed local - workarounds to plug the stick into the remote end by USB-over-VPN would not be entirely impossible, but are hardly practicable.