Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Yubikey 2.0 is here !
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was not quick enough to make the first announcement here, but anyway - finally the Yubikey 2.0 is ready and after a beta period, we are now ready to take orders and deliver.

We know the demand is high and as full volume production is about two months away so we have decided to temporary limit single orders to 9 keys maximum.

Although there are some new features, the main objective of the Yubikey 2.0 is to ramp up volumes and drive down production cost. And – finally we can now make the Yubikeys in (almost) any color.

The new design is a hermetically sealed, injection molded monolithic block. The design is very tough and is expected to be very durable. As a kind of non-scientific test, I opened a couple of beer bottles with it and not even a scratch was seen.

Full backwards compatibility with the Yubikey 1.3 is maintained. Feature-wise we believe our users will be most attracted by the dual configuration capability.

Read more in our newsletter at http://yubico.com/news/letter0906/

We’ve also introduced a new configuration tool, loaded with new features that work for both the Yubikey 1 and the Yubikey 2. It can be downloaded at http://yubico.com/developers/personalization/

It maybe goes without saying, but we're of course interested to get your feedback. We created this forum heading to direct Yubikey 2.0 specific questions here.

We’ll post more technical details here as time goes by and questions come up. Stay tuned !

With the best regards,
JakobE
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Post subject: I did forget to say...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

... that we've also finally released a Technical Reference Manual for the Yubikey.

It can be downloaded at http://yubico.com/files/YubiKey_manual-2.0.pdf

And - we have a special discount offering for existing Yubikey owners:

"For all other existing YubiKey customers we offer a 40% discount during June and July 2009 when ordering up to 9 YubiKeys on our web store. Enter the discount code YUBI4T and you will pay only US$ 15 per YubiKey 2.0."

Regards,

JakobE

Post subject: ouch
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:00 pm 

just recived my Yubikey 1.35..
:shock: if only I knew that a new version is coming....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:19 pm 

it seems it got married (golden ring) and gained on weight (85%!). i find v1 sleeker, are you planning any clearance sales?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, talking about myself, I must admit that I also gained a fair amount of weight (and thereby became less slim) when I got my ring :)

There is a bit of weight gain, but I think it is worth it (not for me, but for the Yubikey...). This relates to three things:

- Choice of material. We have choosen a very hard and tough high-density material that gives the key a better feeling IMO. It is now slightly metal-like.

- Slightly thicker. We now have a thin plastic skin over the top part, rather than a black painted circuit board. The downside is of course the slight increase in thickness (+0.6 mm). OTOH, we now get rid of the problem of getting a good finnish on the circuit board which has been a bit of a challenge to maintain. Furthermore - we can get any color and it really gets consistent.

- No voids. Now we have a completely monolithic design without any voids whatsoever.

There is now a recess over the button which really guides the finger to the right position.

I am looking forward to the first front reports where you touch and feel it and hear what you think. The first 2.0 keys will be shipped from our US office on Monday and from EU on Tuesday.

With the best regards,

JakobE