Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:28 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:59 pm 

Hello,

I have just spent almost 3 hours trying go get the pam_yubico.so PAM module to work, but I had no luck.

Basically, I enter my OTP and the log file looks like everything went ok, but I don't get logged in.

I have tried both single and two-form factor form authentication, but I don't really think this it's a problem.

I guess it's something to do with the yk_chkpwd binary or the pam module itself.

My configuration:

System: Ubuntu 9.10 x64
Yubikey: Yubikey 2.0 (yes I know it does not matter, but just for the sake of completeness :P)

The correct user account name and 12 char id is located in the ~/.yubico/authorized_yubikeys file (I have also tried the authfile method, but I don't really think this is the problem).

The correct secret key is placed in the pam config file.

Here is the output from the logfile:

Quote:
[pam_yubico.c:check_user_token(117)] Authorization line: kami:xxx
[pam_yubico.c:check_user_token(121)] Matched user: kami
[pam_yubico.c:check_user_token(125)] Authorization token: xxxx
[pam_yubico.c:check_user_token(128)] Match user/token as kami/xxxx
[pam_yubico.c:pam_sm_authenticate(594)] done. [Success]
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(381)] called.
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(382)] flags 8 argc 4
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(384)] argv[0]=authfile=/etc/yubikeyid
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(384)] argv[1]=id=3914
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(384)] argv[2]=key=XXX
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(384)] argv[3]=debug
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(385)] id=3914
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(386)] key=XXX
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(387)] debug=1
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(388)] alwaysok=0
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(389)] try_first_pass=0
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(390)] use_first_pass=0
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(391)] authfile=/etc/yubikeyid
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(392)] ldap_uri=(null)
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(393)] ldapdn=(null)
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(394)] user_attr=(null)
[pam_yubico.c:parse_cfg(395)] yubi_attr=(null)
[pam_yubico.c:pam_sm_setcred(615)] retval: 0
[pam_yubico.c:pam_sm_setcred(635)] done. [Success]

As you can see, everything looks fine.

EDIT: I have just check the log file and it's like I have predicted - it's segfault-ing:

Quote:
Mar 16 20:50:25 kami-laptop kernel: [22998.637336] gnome-screensav[24361]: segfault at 150 ip 00007f422d22fbe1 sp 00007f421f8f7e50 error 6 in libpam.so.0.82.1[7f422d22d000+c000]

Any help would be more then appreciated.

Thanks

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:46 am 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

We would appreciate if you can provide us the following information:

1) Operating system: Are you using Ubuntu Server 9.10 or Ubuntu Desktop 9.10?
    2) Which application are you configuring for YubiKey based two factor authentication?
    3) Corresponding PAM file (located in /etc/pam.d/ directory) for your application

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:07 pm 

Sure, even tough I'm still pretty sure the problem is not related to the configuration (as you can see from the log file) :)

1. I'm using Ubuntu desktop 9.10 x64 (Linux kami-laptop 2.6.31-20-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 8 09:02:26 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

2. It doesn't matter, I have tried configuring it for the gnome-screensaver, sshd, login or even for all of them (common-auth).

3. Here is the content of, for example, the gnome-screensaver PAM config file (but like I have previously said, I have tried all the combinations which make sense...):

Quote:
@include common-auth
auth sufficient pam_yubico.so authfile=/etc/yubikeyid id=xxxx key=zzz debug
auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so

It also does not matter if I change the order (put the pam_yubico.so line above the include) or disable the include of the common-auth file.

I'll probably have more time during the weekend and I will be able to try some other PAM modules and maybe try to write my own PAM module in Python using python-pam (yes, I know that that is not very efficient) and I will see if this one works (as I have feeling that the problem is related to the yubico PAM module).

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:18 pm 

Since I couldn't get the C module to work, I wrote my own PAM module in Python using pam-python (http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/pam_python/).

I know that using Python for a PAM module is not really the best and most efficient way, but it should serve me (and probably some other users who have problems with the original C extension) well.

The code for the extension is located on: http://github.com/Kami/yubico-pam-module

Keep in mind that this is a first release which is not yet fully feature-complete and it could break (basic functionally should work fine though)

I do plan to finish it up so it will be totally compatible with the original C extension and create a new branch with some extra features which I (and maybe someone else will) find useful (offline authentication is one of them for sure).

P.S. If you think this should go in a new thread, feel free to merge my post into a new thread :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:19 pm 

This is the 5 minute solution I used:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=210