Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:43 pm 

I recently lost access to some of my accounts, and thankfully got them back. I have taken a rather drastic approach to securing some of my more important sites. The main issue is I use Mashedlife which requires me to use my Yubikey to log in, and if I don't I can not log in. I am using 64bit passwords of totally random characters which I do not remember. So I rely on Mashedlife to access accounts. What happens if I lose my Yubikey? If I order a replacement I assume I have to recover my passwords, and set Mashedlife up with a new Yubikey?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:14 pm 

For sites like mashedlife.com you can contact them directly for help.

If you lose your Yubikey, get the transaction ID of your payment record, or the email you used to converse w/ Yubico staff or used in Paypal, or your shipping addr/phone# from which Yubico can find which Yubikeys were shipped to that address.

Then when you order the new Yubikey, you have 2 options:

[1] Order a new Yubikey, replace the lost Yubikey entry in all places such as mashedlife.com, clavid, etc. with the new Yubikey.

[2] Or, you can ask Yubico to re-program the Yubikey to be exactly the same as your lost
one. Since this is a sensitive and tedious process, Yubico will charge a labor fee for doing so.

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:30 am 

My suggestion, is order another yubikey now, and add it to your mashedlife account as a backup administrator key, and put it away somewhere safe. (This is definitely true if you require your yubikey to sign on to your mashed life account.)

As a comment on option number 2, of having the second yubikey to be programmed exactly like the one that is lost, the sensitive part of this operation is programming in the original public ID (6 bytes), private ID (6 bytes) and AES key (16 bytes). Then, the labour intensive part after the key is programmed, is inserting the key, pressing the button once, then removing the key. This part has to be done up to the last registered insert count, which if that ended up being 300, than this process has to be repeated 300 times, or if the key is really heavily used, and insert count is up at 1000, then the process is repeated 1000 times. Because there is no easy way to automate this process, yes, they would have to charge a labour fee for the time spent doing this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:55 pm 

How do I activate my new Yubikey on this forum? I just replaced my 1.1 Yubikey with a new one, and don't want to keep the old key just for this forum. The change password screen did not work for me.

Walt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:07 pm 

walts wrote:
How do I activate my new Yubikey on this forum? I just replaced my 1.1 Yubikey with a new one, and don't want to keep the old key just for this forum. The change password screen did not work for me.

Walt

Walt, please see here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=198

This is the 3rd such request this month asking for that. Maybe it's time for me to automate the process!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:05 am 

Is it possible to add a backup yubikey to the openID account I created at http://openid.yubico.com/server.php ? Or am I supposed to create another openID account with the new key and add that to the HTML on the openID web page I created for my ID? I'm just slightly confused as to how this all works :-)

Gadget Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:51 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

The current release of the Yubico OpenID server does not have any mechanism to create a backup YubiKey for an existing user.
Any effort or experience sharing of developing such a functionality would be highly appreciated!