Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:44 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A common question is if you can use your LastPass YubiKeys with the windows login software as well. The short answer is: yes.

The reason why you can use your YubiKeys with both LastPass and for windows login is that YubiKey 2.x has two configuration slots. When the standard YubiKey 2.x is shipped, it's first configuration slot is factory programmed for Yubico OTP mode (which works with online YubiCloud validation service and used by services like LastPass) and the second configuration slot is left blank i.e. not programmed. The two configuration slots of the YubiKey work independently and each can be independently reconfigured.
Windows Login requires YubiKey slot 2 configured in HMAC-SHA1 challenge-response mode. So you can safely reprogram the second slot of your YubiKey for use with Windows Login and continue to use slot 1 output for LastPass authentication.

/klas

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:10 am 

Care to share how exactly this whole process takes shape, both from a programming the key and configuring windows perspective?

Many thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:57 pm 

Hi,

You can read more about the Windows login software and how to here: http://yubico.com/windows-login

Thanks,
Evelina, Yubico

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:35 pm 

I currently use the Yubikey to log in to 3 different computers. I manage the computers at my church and it is a very "open" (unsecured) environment. We were having trouble with people who had no business on the secretary's computer using it just because it was the most convenient. I locked the 2 crucial computers we have down with the Beta login and have always used lastpass along with 2 of the other authorized users. In short 3 users using Lastpass and the beta login for Yubikey. So far it works flawlessly. :)

I have only request. I would like to see an autolock feature integrated directly into the beta login. Specifically where if the key used to log in is removed from the usb port then the screen locks and will not unlock til an authorized Yubikey is reinserted and the logon process is completed again.

Thank you to all the folks who are working on the development of the Yubikey. I am in love with this product and am really looking forward to the Neo.
Keep up the good work.