Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:34 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:53 am 

Hi,

So I tried searching the forums about this and came up with one that was similar, but never said what a fix might be.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=910

I am on a windows 8 computer. I installed WindowsLogon and configured my yubikeys according to the directions. I then created a test account and used the Yubi Logon Administration Tool to configure my test account just like the directions. The tools tests ran successfully. After a restart I attempted to log into my test account. First I attempted it without pressing the yubikey button to see if authentication would fail. After awhile I got a message that stated "remote procedure call failed". I thought that was a strange message for a failed authentication. Then when I tried it again each time I entered my password I got a message that said "The RCP server is unavailable." Shortly after the computer restarted itself.

So the same process happens whenever I try to login with the yubikey enabled account. It fails with the first message, and then after that no matter if its the test account or my real account, the login fails with the RCP server message. Then the computer restarts.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as verifying my configuration and yubikey version is compatible. I also verified I'd installed the x64 version.

So here is some windows event log information that may be helpful:
Quote:
Faulting application name: lsass.exe, version: 6.2.9200.16420, time stamp: 0x505a9bdf
Faulting module name: YubiClientAPI.dll, version: 1.2.0.1, time stamp: 0x5111ecc7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000005a5e
Faulting process id: 0x2ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce7f54aab4450c
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Yubico\Yubikey Client API\Bin\x64\YubiClientAPI.dll
Report Id: 22ee485c-eb4c-11e2-be86-bcaec58e1575
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Quote:
A critical system process, C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe, failed with status code 255. The machine must now be restarted.

Quote:
The previous system shutdown at 6:08:08 PM on ‎7/‎12/‎2013 was unexpected.

Thoughts on what I can do?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:20 pm 

Hi,

remove the option under HMAC-SHA1 Parameters "Require user input (button press)". And your RPC call failure will stop, and you can login.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:11 pm 

I just bought a Yubikey (NEO) and set it up. It worked fine during initial testing (roughly about a day and a half of testing). However last night it started this same issue, crashing my computer and restarting when I try to log in; Giving "Remote Procedure Call failed" message. Just generally behaving very badly. I was able to regain access to 2 of my computers and turn off the Windows Logon tool. But this buggy Windows Logon tool has me completely locked out of a 3rd computer.

I cannot believe that the suggested solution is to disable the "Require user input" option. Are you serious? That is unacceptable! Period! My key cost $50 USD, no small amount in our economy where the cost of EVERYTHING keeps going up, but wages have hardly budged in well over a decade. For that price, it should JUST WORK, straight "out of the box".

I'm very, very disappointed with Yubico and intend on trying to get my money back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:23 pm 

I've been having the same issue as the original poster, but do not have 'require user input' enabled on my YubiKey NEO.
The relevant events are listed below.

Every time this has happened for me has been after resuming from sleep, plugging in my YubiKey, and logging in. After this I get a 'Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.' This seems to happen to me about 1/3 times, and is not so easily predictable.
I do have the windows error report dump if that helps also.

For now I've had to disable using the YubiKey to authenticate my Windows user, as set with the YubiKey Logon Administration tool.
Any help appreciated, as right now this functionality is useless with crashes like this.

Event 1000, Application Error
Code:
Faulting application name: lsass.exe, version: 6.1.7601.18443, time stamp: 0x5348920c
Faulting module name: YubiClientAPI.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x548145f2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000007fef57116c9
Faulting process id: 0x3b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0f5603544f107
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe
Faulting module path: YubiClientAPI.dll
Report Id: ca95cda5-62f5-11e5-96a1-005056c00008

Event 1015, Wininit
Code:
A critical system process, C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe, failed with status code 255.  The machine must now be restarted.

Event 6008, EventLog
Code:
The previous system shutdown at 12:53:22 PM on ‎24/‎09/‎2015 was unexpected.