Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:00 pm 

I've got a couple Neo keys today, and I'm going to use them to evaluate the technology. Pretty cool toys from a tech perspective, but here's a trivial question:

Let's say we end up using the keys, and we distribute them to employees. Most of them will carry the keys on their physical key rings (in fact, this will be strongly encouraged, to reduce the number of lost keys). In order to use the USB key, they will have to plug it into the laptop. Most of the users will hate having the key ring, with USB key and all the physical keys, sitting on the table all day long, or dangling from a USB port on a desktop.

What's needed is a way to quickly, easily, and securely be able to attach the Neo (or any other Yubico key) to a physical key ring, and detach it when needed. Some sort of clip that is easy to use and detach when the Neo is needed, but remains firmly attached the rest of the time. This cannot be a lanyard.

I know the matter seems trivial, but properly solving it will reduce the amount of keys lost, and will improve the experience for the users. I think it's important to do this properly.

Any suggestions?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't have an answer for this but i'll give it a thought

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:21 pm 

We use these detachable key rings http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Steel-Apart-Key-ID-Badge-Chain/dp/B00128ZWFW/ref=sr_1_61?ie=UTF8&qid=1409750642&sr=8-61&keywords=quick+clip+key+ring

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:31 pm 

I've used those before as well.
Very simple to take apart when needed, and very reliable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:37 pm 

Sorry to revive a mostly-dead thread. Since I recently bought, activated, and am now using a YubiKey, I need to keep it with me at all times.

I have one of these for my KeePass db (main reason for YubiKey), with this flash drive attached. The pull-apart keyring is in fact, larger than the 'key' it's holding. Was wondering if this situation could be improved, now that I have to carry around two similar devices?

Right now my main YubiKey is attached to a KeyZ, though now the other 3 keys are very loose/easy to move around. Which isn't a bad thing, necessarily, I just have to get used to it.

EDIT: Just flipped my KeyZ config around; now the YubiKey is on the opposite of where I originally put it; much easier to get to the button, plus I can tighten the whole setup this way!