Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:32 am 

I bought my first yubikey last week and I love it.

I'm looking to buy a second one to keep in my home office (saves constantly searching for my keys).

I thought I'd buy the VIP key to get secure logins to PayPal but have some newbie questions:

1) If I understand correctly, the VIP key will not work as a standard yubikey? I'll need to reprogram the second identity and upload a AES key to yubico?

2) If so, for the Yubico AES Key Upload to I enter the serial number on the VIP yubikey or just make something up? This is assuming there is a serial number on the VIP yubikey :)

3) Once I've done this the VIP key will be 100% equivalent to a standard yubikey when using the second identity.

4) To trigger the second identity on the VIP key I need to hold the button for 2.5+ seconds?

5) Finally - there is no additional fee for using the Symantec VIP service? Life time access is included with the key?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my noob questions - I appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Phill

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:20 am 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

Please find the answers to your questions as follows:

1) If I understand correctly, the VIP key will not work as a standard yubikey? I'll need to reprogram the second identity and upload a AES key to yubico?

Answer: You are correct! The VIP enabled YubiKey has two configuration slots. When the VIP enabled YubiKey is shipped, it's first configuration slot is factory programmed for Symantec VIP credentials and the second configuration slot is left blank i.e. not programmed. The two configuration slots of the YubiKey work independently and each can be independently reconfigured into OTP or static password mode.

2) If so, for the Yubico AES Key Upload to I enter the serial number on the VIP yubikey or just make something up? This is assuming there is a serial number on the VIP yubikey :)

Answer: VIP YubiKey has a serial number. You can use that serial number while uploading the AES Key. In case, you don't have access to serial number, you can enter "0" (digit zero) in the serial number field.

3) Once I've done this the VIP key will be 100% equivalent to a standard yubikey when using the second identity.

Answer: Yes, if you upload the AES Key to the OTP validation server and are able to validate the OTP successfully, you can use the second slot of the VIP YubiKey as a standard YubiKey.

4) To trigger the second identity on the VIP key I need to hold the button for 2.5+ seconds?

Answer: If you touch and hold the YubiKey button between 1-3 seconds before releasing, the first configuration slot will emit the password (based on slot 1 configuration). And if you touch and hold the YubiKey button about 4-5 seconds before releasing, the second configuration slot will emit the password (based on slot 2 configuration). In case if you happen to touch and hold it longer for more than 5 seconds, the touch button indicator will flash rapidly without emitting any password.

5) Finally - there is no additional fee for using the Symantec VIP service? Life time access is included with the key?

Answer: We would appreciate if you can get in touch with our sales team regrading this

We hope this helps!