Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:33 am 

Attempted to configure my yubikey on a VM Windows 7 Pro (Build 7601, SP1) from the YubiKey Logon Administration window
but the Configure button was disabled. Afterwards restarted machine but Configure button continued disabled. Finally removed YubiKey Logon installation.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

When using in a virtual machine, make sure you map the raw usb device through to the VM, that way the configure button should be enabled for you. If this does not work, what virtualisation software are you running, and on what host OS?

/klas

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:11 am 

99% sure the VM has been configured to work with the host machine USB port because I can successfully use the Yubico Demo server.

I again attempted to configure Yubikey Logon but the Configure button is still disabled.

VM = VMware Workstation, 8.0.3 build-703057
Host = Windows 2003 R2, SP2

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The only virtualization (that I know of) that it's tested with is virtual box, so it might be that information is lost when using with vmware, but it should be possible to get it to work, though I have little to no experience with it.

That OTP generation works is unfourtunately not an indicator that it's mapped through as that's usually sseen as coming from the virtual keyboard connected to the VM.

If the YubiKey is mapped through properly there will be a second "HID Keyboard Device" in the device manager, to verify that it is the YubiKey you can open it and check the Hardware Ids under details. The YubiKey has a VID of 1050 and a PID of 0010.

/klas

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:27 am 

Here's my final response. Yes the Yubikey was not enabled. On VMWare Workstation Yubikey is enabled once the VM is active where there's a series on device icons at the lower right corner of the VM Window but since I always use the VM in full screen mode those icons were not visible. The tooltip for the Yubikey icon reads as follows, "Yubico Yubikey II".

Able to install the Yubikey Logon software and configure the Yubikey with a good "Test" response.

After restarting the machine I did see under the logon box the statement that Yubikey was enabled for logon. However the logon failed for my Yubikey challenge but suceeded with my system password.

I configured my Yubikey to not have “button press” configured for challenge-response.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:39 am 

Reinstalled Yubikey Logon with success. Once I understood that Yubikey augments the Windows password and does not replace it then I was able to use it as designed. FYI: My ultimate goal would be to replace password with Yubikey.