Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:33 am 

Hi All,

I am very happy with my Yubikey, it is an RFID version which added much versatility to this simple but secure product.

This weekend I decided to have some fun with it in a DIY project. Ok it's just a proto, nothing close to a finished product, no visual cue yet, but you can get an idea how this little thing can sometimes be the fun part of our lives!

Hope you'll enjoy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONhmRY3jzXc

Cheers,
Pine

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:31 pm 

Dear pine,

and now you might tell me the sense of this nice music project. Sorry I didn't get ist, but I can only speak for me... ;-)

Kind regards
Cornelius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:44 pm 

Dear Cornelius,

Thank you for watching, and sorry that it seems confusing, partly because it is a half baked prototype.

The idea is to DIY a kind of Beat-mania game usually found in gaming arcade.

There is an RFID receiver under the black sheet cover and is the drum. The Yubikey is an RFID version and is used as the drumstick.

The RFID receiver is connected to an Arduino board and then to the PC via a serial connection (and also through an ethernet interface, but it turns out the latency is too high for this work so the ethernet connection is abandoned). The PC is running a VB program to handle the signal from the serial connection.

When the RFID received signal from the Yubikey (drum stick hitting the drum), it will transmit a message to the host PC, the VB program will then play a drum sound.

What is in the video is a proof-of-concept. The background music is playing from the PC, and the occasional (off beat) drum sound is the feedback from the action of the drumstick.

The not yet finished part of this project are the gaming elements, like showing the visual cue and counting marks on hitting the at the right rhythm.

If more RFID Yubikey and receivers are available, this could be extended to a full drumstel :)