Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:17 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:38 pm 

Hello guys,
I have recently bought a Yubikey and I'm having some problems with it. I'm living in Germany so I am using a keyboard with a QWERTZ layout. I want to use the second configuration to use a static password which will be used to unlock my computer. So I went into the configuration tool and typed in my password. To explain what the problem is I will use an example password. So I typed in: mg@3r I wrote the configuration but when I tested the output in a text editor the following password was written: mg"3r As you can see the @ was replaced with a ". I tested some other keys and found some other strange cases like this. For example if I input a " it will output a "ä". If I input a "ä" it will output nothing (for example wäfg --> wfg). So I can't use many special characters because the Yubikey seems to output a different scan code. Does anybody of you know what is happening here? Did I do something wrong? I hope you can help me :)

Greetings from Germany,
xXKnightRiderXx

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:46 am 

I've has a similar issue using a British keyboard with US software.

What I think you need to do is type your password into a text editor, such as Notepad or Word. You can see the correct characters. Then copy and paste it into the Yubikey configuration tool.

Hopefully that should work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:21 am 

Hey,
thanks for the answer. I tried it but unfortunately it does not work for me. As an example i added a picture to this Post which shows the Password I entered in the configuration tool. As said i can write it to the Yubikey but when I use the Yubikey i get this output: P"sswÄrd.

Greetings,
xXKnightRiderXx

Attachments:
yubikey.png
yubikey.png [ 22.62 KiB | Viewed 3388 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:56 pm 

I solved it like this, use another password. I am on a Mac so I enabled US layout in addition to the Swedish one I normally use. Then I typed my password in a text editor. Now do the same thing with US layout. If there is a difference, then you will have problems like not being able to unlock filevault2 on a mac with your yubikey. And because you only can use US layout in the yubikey personalization tool you have to use a password that does not differ with layouts. It's really not yubico:s fault, it's just how things work in general. Well unless you're an american of course.

So when you have one that has the same characters for german and US layout you have a winner. (This does however lower the security quite a bit if you are not thoughtful of how you do this).

Good luck :-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:34 am 

Thanks for your answer. So I checked the US layout and switched my german keyboard to an american layout. And well it works. I have a question now: Why isn't it possible to change the keyboard layout in the personalization tool? As you can see in the screenshot above there is a keyboard option but the only option I can select is a US keyboard.....
Does somebody have an idea how to fix this?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If someone has the will to build a table of his own, I guess we can integrate it in some way

https://github.com/Yubico/yubikey-perso ... anedit.cpp