Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Can I lock out myself?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:34 pm 

Hi,

I am afraid to configure my neo key because somewhere I read that I can lock out myself. Is it true? There are lots of information on yubico.com, which is really great, but it seems one of them could be outdated and therefore missleading. Can somebody confirm my suspicious?
Thanks.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:07 am 

Lock yourself out from what? You can use you Yubikey for several different services and programs and depending on which service/program you use you have different options to prevent lock outs.

E.g. you can use Yubikey as 2-factor authentication for Lastpass but it is still possible to login without you Yubikey if you use another 2-factor authentication (if you have enabled multiple 2-factor authentication methods) or have access to you e-mail.

If you use you Yubikey to generate a static password to decrypt a hard drive it is recommended to save the password a safe place or make use of multiple Yubikey's there can unlock the device so you are not totally lost if you Yubkey is destroyed or disappeared.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:38 am 

From my yubikey. I read that I should not disable HID device because it needs to configure my yubikey device, but than I found a tool with which maybe I can turn HID back. I am confused a bit.