Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:04 am 

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to use a YubiKey Plus (aka "Limited edition colored YubiKey U2F + OTP") properly.

According to the product information in the YubiKey store it comes pre-configured with OTP in slot 1 and an unconfigured slot 2.

I successfully added the key to my Google account security settings without having to touch the key's configuration; I expected that it would be necessary to switch the configuration to U2F.

Is it the case that Google supports "plain" YubiKey OTP as well as U2F? Or did I misunderstand the whole concept and my key provides U2F, despite being pre-configured with OTP?

I would like to use the key also with other services which are U2F-only, so it is quite important for me that I use the right settings from the beginning to avoid having the re-register my key with services that support both OTP and U2F.

Thanks in advance!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:43 pm 

U2F and OTP are separate functions - both OTP slots are available alongside U2F.

The talk of configuring keys is primarily to do with the ability to turn the OTP, U2F and CCID functions on and off with a NEO. The main reason for doing this at the moment is compatibility - not all Linux distributions have the correct udev rules for NEOs with U2F enabled, also the U2F support in Chrome 38 and earlier does not work with NEOs that have both U2F and OTP enabled.

I'm not sure whether you can turn off either of the functions on a Plus and I don't have one to experiment with.