Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:11 pm 

I had an idea to create a little AutoIt program which would invoke ykinfo.exe -m every 5 seconds or so, in order to detect when this information was no longer accessible and then lock the PC. Since my old program that I made which watched for any USB keyboards which contained my old Yubikey serial no longer existed no longer works on newer Yubikey models.

This seemed amazing, I tested it on my Yubikey 4. I am unsure if there are any drawbacks by getting this information constantly? Well, any way, I tried this with my Neo and my god, all I hear is USB connect, USB disconnect. USB connect, USB disconnect. USB... You get the picture. Every time the command issues.

So my two questions are, why is this happening with the Yubikey Neo? and as far as wear and tear etc is it causing any problems to the Yubikey if I were to check for this information?

Third bonus question, what part of the device manager-type system could I check for the raw presence of my Yubikey? The personalisation tool states the serial can be read by USB descriptor and all sorts of things. So what intrinsic thing/area/command can discern the serial number of a Yubikey? Before it was just a matter of gathering all the info on all "keyboards" and finding a string match for my old Yubikey's serial. This would be very good to know.

I hope someone at Yubico can give me a response to this query, or anyone else who has this knowledge, because I have been seeing a trend of questions being asked (20+ pages worth) and nobody bothering to address them, answer them, explain why help cannot be given in their case or anything.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:33 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

This is a community forum. If you need a direct answer from Yubico, please open a support case at yubi.co/support.

NEO disconnect/reconnect sound - viewtopic.php?t=2427&p=9018

Sure you could poll the YK every 5 seconds if you want, but logically it would reduce the lifespan if you're constantly querying it for information. No, there's no hard data on this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 pm 

Ok thanks.