Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:58 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Galaxy S5 Neo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:29 am 

I can read the NEO once with the S5 without problem, trying to read it once again just seams to hang the nfc processes on the phone. If i disable NFC on the phone and enable it again I'm able to read the NEO once more. When it's not possible to read the NEO it's not possible to read any other NFC tags. Same scenario works with out problem on S3,S4,Z3 and so on.

Anybody else having this issue or have a solution to it?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Post subject: Re: Galaxy S5 Neo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:25 pm 

RobertL wrote:
I can read the NEO once with the S5 without problem, trying to read it once again just seams to hang the nfc processes on the phone. If i disable NFC on the phone and enable it again I'm able to read the NEO once more. When it's not possible to read the NEO it's not possible to read any other NFC tags. Same scenario works with out problem on S3,S4,Z3 and so on.

I'm using Yubico Authenticator on the S5 (AT&T, Android 4.4.2) and I'm not seeing the issue. I have to enter my password each time because I haven't checked the checkbox to save my password, but each time it generates a new code.

I only have one credential, my google credential, on the neo.

Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:41 pm 

RobertL wrote:

I am seeing the same issue on 3 different S5's with 2 different, brand-new Neo keys(fw 3.3.0). Its basically unusable since it usually takes a few minutes of fumbling around(frustrating...) in order to get a successful read.

Phone:
US Cellular Galaxy S5 SM-G900R4, Android 4.4.2, Kernel 3.4.0-2185718
-I have not tested a non-US Cellular S5, so maybe its carrier-specific issue??
-I have tested US Cellular Galaxy S3 and S4 and these older devices work perfectly

Symptoms:
After one read(successful OR failed), it will not read again

Workarounds:
-wait at least a minute then try again(does not always work, 50/50...)
-disable/enable NFC
-lock/unlock the phone

Additional info:
On the first attempt, the S5 seems to be able to successfully read the Neo only about 50% of the time, sometimes I get error "Unfortunately, NFC Service has stopped", but most times it just simply will not read again until doing one of the above 'workarounds'. After a failed read, if I immediately exit the Yubico Authenticator then re-load it, I get message "NFC is disabled" but when I check, it is actually enabled. So it seems that the NFC service is crashing for some reason. Note: I have never seen "NFC is disabled" message after a successful read, but it still will not read again until doing one of the workarounds above.

I brought this up with US Cellular 'tech support' but that was(as I expected) an exercise in futility....the only answer I got was to wipe/reset the phone and that "NFC is for sharing pictures and not intended for security"

Any ideas??

Last edited by gb5102 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:41 am 

gb5102 wrote:
Phone:
US Cellular Galaxy S5 SM-G900R4, Android 4.4.2, Kernel 3.4.0-2185718
-I have not tested a non-US Cellular S5, so maybe its carrier-specific issue??
-I have tested US Cellular Galaxy S3 and S4 and these older devices work perfectly

Symptoms:
After one read(successful OR failed), it will not read again

Not too helpful from me, but a data point:
AT&T Galaxy S5 SM-G900A, Android 4.4.2, Kernel 3.4.0-2178781

Multiple reads of my Yubikey NEO work fine. It's a NEO 3.2.0 w/ YubiOATH applet 0.2.1. I haven't tested a NEO 3.3.0 yet.

B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:33 pm 

My S5 are Euro version (Sweden)

Model: SM-G900F
Android 4.4.2
Kernel 3.4.0-2089850
Baseband: G900FXXU1ANG2

Adb logcat says when scanning Neo first time:

D/NativeNfcTag(11676): connectWithStatus- technology =3
D/NativeNfcTag(11676): Connect to a tech with a different handle
D/NativeNfcTag(11676): Starting background presence check
D/NfcDispatcher(11676): tryStartActivity. Send intent.
V/ApplicationPolicy( 807): isApplicationStateBlocked userId 0 pkgname com.android.nfc
D/NfcService(11676): tag value : none
V/SmartFaceService - 3rd party pause( 807): onReceive [android.intent.action.ACTIVITY_STATE/com.android.nfc/create]
V/SmartFaceService - 3rd party pause( 807): onReceive [android.intent.action.ACTIVITY_STATE/com.android.nfc/pause]
D/NativeNfcTag(11676): Tag lost, restarting polling loop
D/NativeNfcTag(11676): Stopping background presence check
E/NfcNfa (11676): nfa_dm_act_deactivate (): invalid protocol, mode or state

When trying to scan ANY tag after this, nothing happens.

The 2 last lines look not to good, in my eyes at least... Doing the same on S3 doesn't provide as much detail

D/NfcDispatcher( 2940): tryStartActivity. Send intent.
D/NfcService( 2940): tag value : none
D/NativeNfcTag( 2940): Tag lost, restarting polling loop

But on S3 it works all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:25 am 

Same issue here with a Samsung Galaxy S5 EU Version. Model, Android, Kernel, and Baseband are the same as mentioned above.

There is one slight modification: a wireless charging implant (I did not replace the cover, so the neo works best at the lower part of the phone)

The best method to get a new key is the lock/unlock. Disable/Enable NFC works but unreliable - did not try the one minute waiting.

To that end:
+1 for looking into this

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:47 am 

since we are at least two - I created an issue at github (hope, the repo is correct )

https://github.com/Yubico/yubioath-android/issues/9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:33 pm 

No comment from Yubico on this? Is it being looked into/known issue/any info at all??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:49 am 

Has an update been pushed recently? I'm experiencing similar issues on my Galaxy 5s, US version, Verizon.

Update - I held my neo right where the NFC antenna is (search for "galaxy s5 nfc antenna location", you'll see right where it is; I also have the Samsung flip cover case installed), and it worked - Yubi Authenticator asked to use a service to open a URL (I chose Yubi Clip), then a site I'd set up to generate codes appeared on the list. I'd set up the code generation via the desktop app (I'm on Win8).

Another update -
- success in swiping the neo with Yubiauthenticator is intermittent after the first use of the day. Is there a cooldown timer?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:48 am 

arien wrote:
Has an update been pushed recently? I'm experiencing similar issues on my Galaxy 5s, US version, Verizon.

Update - I held my neo right where the NFC antenna is (search for "galaxy s5 nfc antenna location", you'll see right where it is; I also have the Samsung flip cover case installed), and it worked - Yubi Authenticator asked to use a service to open a URL (I chose Yubi Clip), then a site I'd set up to generate codes appeared on the list. I'd set up the code generation via the desktop app (I'm on Win8).

Another update -
- success in swiping the neo with Yubiauthenticator is intermittent after the first use of the day. Is there a cooldown timer?

I'm experiencing the same issue after purchasing a Yubikey Neo in Oct 2014. It has never worked successfully with my Samsung Galaxy 5. It will get recognised by NFC once and then NFC locks up every time and I have to turn NFC off and then back on to try again. Even that doesn't alway swork. Meanwhile I can use by NFC transport card just fine.

I lodged a support request (ticket 00009278) but never had a reply back. So I've had a $55 bad investment sitting under my monitor :( Meanwhile my non NFC yubikeys keep working flawlessly.

I'll drop support another message...