Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:43 pm 

I have just purchased a new netboook, the Novatech NNB-886 and made it dual boot with Win7 Pro 32-bit and Fedora 15 64-bit.

When at the BIOS, the Yubikey inserted into any of the USB sockets works as expected. This is just as well as the systems are encrypted with the Yubikey static password in slot 2.

When in Fedora 15, the Yubikey inserted into any of the USB sockets works as expected.

However, under Windows 7 Pro, the key only works when installed into the USB 2.0 sockets. When inserted into the single USB 3.0 (blue) socket, the Yubikey keeps trying to start and then stops, again and again. This causes the system to continually loop through a device enumeration cycle. Needless to say, it does not work.

Anyone else noticed this on a USB 3.0 socket, which are supposed to be 100% USB 2.0 backwards compatible?

Z.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:14 pm 

Working at a partner company that sells yubikeys and software that depends on them, I eagerly watch this thread. (Alas I cannot test as I have no USB3 ports on any of my machines)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:41 pm 

Is it only YubiKey that fails with USB3, or do you have other USB2 or USB3 devices that don't work in the USB3 socket? If there are several devices with problems, it could be a Windows 7 driver issue.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:08 pm 

I have a Seagate Go-Flex external USB3.0 drive plugged in to that socket working perfectly under Win7 Pro.

So, fundamentally, the port works as expected with a disk drive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's strange. I had to check out on my Lenovo X220 on the USB 3.0 port and it works as expected. I checked up with the protocol analyzer and everything looks normal.

- What host controller is that machine using ?

- Could it be anything mechanical that prevents the Yubikey from seating properly in this particular port ?

- Could you try to attach a USB 2.0 hub into that port and attach the Yubikey there - any difference ?

- The Yubikey is a USB low-speed device. If you attach a mouse there (which usually is a low-speed device too) - does that work ?

- I found the following thread on a forum - can you check this out ? Maybe there is a driver issue ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-dev ... rking.html

All feedback in this matter would be highly appreciated,

JakobE
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:53 pm 

Its a Fresco Logic xHCI (USB3) Controller FL1000 Series device, running on whatever the latest and greatest drivers were at the time.

I have now found some later drivers and will retest with them.

The Yubikey works fine in the same socket when inside the BIOS to enable booting off an encrypted disk partition.

Regards,
Z.

Update: Tried with later drivers from here http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/driver ... 23182.html (Fresco Logic USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver v.3.5.4.0) and the problem persists. The laptop is from here http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/n1.html