Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:29 pm 

Hello,

There are so many sites that are compatible with Google authentication code but each of them provides own secret key.
Yubico has only 2 slots, so if I configured it for Gmail it is not possible to use Yubikey for Dropbox and etc.
IMHO the Yubikey slot limitation is the major issue. The new additional slots could be used for other challenge-request based authentication.
With this option Yubico users don't need to think about what slot number should be used for any of specific app.
This will be simply a configuration application option like I can do this on my android Yubico Neo widget.
Of course the current scheme with first two default slots should be keeped as is.

Best Regards,
vlad

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello.

We've been pondering this ourselves and throwing some ideas around for how to design an interface for more slots. Unfortunately I have nothing more than that, we have ideas around this but nothing more concrete than that.

/klas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:18 pm 

Hello,

Can you say now, if the supporting of multiple slots in Neo requires a new hardware or the update of firmware?
If the new firmware will be enough then how much slots approximately Neo could have? I asking this because I don't have the info about NEO EEPROM and maximal possible slot size.

Best Regards,
Vlad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello.

All to early to say, it depends on to many decisions that aren't made yet. It would probably be able to support several additional slots, but I don't want to guess at numbers before (and if) we've started deisgning something like that.

/klas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:08 pm 

I've just got a Yubico Key to test and having same issue

Doesnt make sense for user to have to have multiple keys and their all black so how would you identify which key to use ?

Why not just extend the current functionality to allow say 8 slots in a Yubico Key.

My assumption is the issue is to do with how to determine which slot to use at any given time. With only two to choose from , you have the short or long press of the single button. With more slots how to manage it ?

The most logical without compromising the elegance of a single button would be to have
- a small display or row of Lights of some kind that indicates the current slot

One of the following
A strip that senses a swipe to move to the next slot and a tap if the slot is user activated (colour of the light could indicate this)
A thumb wheel on the side of the key that is scrolled (like a mouse wheel only smaller and thinner (thinking of the volume control on an old sony walkman) to move to the next slot or press down to activate
Two buttons - one to cycle through the slots and one to activate

A short term solution without needing to change the form factor of the existing Neo might be to increase the slots to 4 but allow a double or triple click to select the slot for user activated and if there were several that were not user activated, then can you detect which USB slot the key is in and assign a slot to the USB port ? Most laptops have at least two USB ports and more if you use a docking station.

At least it should be possible to add a third slot just for a static only password on say a double click. This would act like the current static password slot and allow me to use the same secure password on multiple sites that dont support two factor auth but the password length should be configurable as i had some issues using the static password when its too long for the password field.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:49 am 

This problem was solved a long time ago - single circuit, signal is either a dash or a dot - if you want to count more than 2 slots, please use Morse code. KISS
It may be an old wheel, that doesn't make re-inventing it any smarter. And it is a standard, free of any patents.

I look forward to having ten slots (or more) - after only a firmware upgrade :D to my yubikey standard. Go for it, I can't wait to see if Morse code can pass today's UX fashions.