Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:03 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:59 am 

Heya, YubiKey Personalization Tool 3.0.2 for Linux isn't detecting my key on Ubuntu Precise LiveCD, or in a VM, nor in a Arch Linux VM, Windows version is working fine though in both a VM and on the host PC.

I should point out that in all cases Linux detects the key, and I can use it, just not with the tool.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:13 pm 

I take it by the lack of replies I'm the only one having this problem. Meh, wonder what the problem is then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

This could be that the tool doesn't have permissions to read the device. Have you tried running it as root?

/klas

edit: I read more completely now, for the live-cd it should definately work as long as it has permissions to the device. For the VM case you have to make sure that the raw USB device is mapped through from the host to the guest, this can be tricky and will not always work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 pm 

Heya, I just retried my VM's, and Windows works, Ubuntu Precise doesn't as user or root, and Arch Linux doesn't as user, and as root it just locks up the tool untill I remove the key. Oh I should point out that I'm inserting the key after the tool is running.

Edit:
In both Arch and Ubuntu VMs, only root has write permissions to the device.

Edit 2:
I just tried my livecd again, and the tool doesn't even run, not sure if that happened before, and I'm just misremembering it running.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For the virtual machines I'm getting similar results (using virtualbox), I'm guessing that it doesn't map the usb device through properly.

For the live-cd case it "should" work fine though, I'll get my hands on one and try to give you better advice than that.

/klas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello again,

For me it works from a 32-bit precise livecd if I run the YKPersonalization binary, the shell script we provide with the download seems to confuse matters.

/klas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:07 am 

Heya, it seems I never tried to run it as root on my livecd, as it just worked this time, though I could have sworn I did, it's something I'd normaly try, like running just the binary file, must have gotten confused with all the trying on VMs, LiveUSBs etc. I think the time it wouldn't run at all was on a LiveUSB, I'll retry that again later today.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Edit:
Just tried the LiveUSB, and it was there that it never launched. Tried the script and the binary, neither double clicking or running from the terminal worked.