Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:52 pm 

I'm very new to this so most of my questions may seem trivial.

I'm trying to research whether I could use yubikeys for file encryption/decryption. Basically my goal is to create a small java application that takes a file that is encrypted with the public from the yubikey and then de-crypt it using the matching private key that is on the secure element of the yubikey.

1. First question is, whether this is feasible. If yes - what would be the steps to achieve that (I assume I should utilize PIV applet somehow)

So far I have managed to connect to yubikey and send various commands. However I'm facing certain issues:

2. when sending the authenticate command (INS 0x20, P2 0x82), only few times I have managed to receive a 9000 response. Other times it's either 6A80 or 6D00. Whenever I try to verify pin via yubico-piv-tool command line, it is always successful. I cannot pinpoint the reason why I am receiving different responses (they seem quite random). It looks like it is somehow related to connection modes that I can change using NEO manager tool. When I set it to OTP+CCID, it mostly return 6A80, but then after some time answers to most commands become 6D00 until I reconfigure connection mode to OTP+U2F+CCID and then back to OTP+CCID
3. even with the basic command to get the version (INS 0xFD) I start getting 6D00 response at some point.

Until I get the verification command to work consistently I guess there is no point trying to generate public keys, as authentication is required to be able to do that.

Thanks,
Aurimas

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:58 pm 

You know that there are two different sides to the key. The PIV and the OTP, right? Check this post out. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2477&p=9146&hilit=change+pin#p9146