Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: ElectroLock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:36 am 

I use a lot of micro-controler in Electronics and a good way to use the Yubikey would be to interface it with electronics.
i was wondering if you could remove all the USB protocole and only send the CLOCK and DATA of the key on the pin of the Yubikey?
For example: arduino.cc is a Atmega microcontroler that would connect easilly (without the USB protocol)

Thanks
Patgadget

Last edited by patgadget on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Post subject: Re: ElectroLock
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:57 pm 

Would that mean your lock would already be interfaced with a PC or an embedded authentication server of some sort? Or do you mean to use a fixed-password YK in a similar fashion, say, to an RFID token?

(I ask because I'm anxiously waiting on my first Arduino to begin some experimentation)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In theory, yes - but unfortunately we cannot commit to do special hacks.

I guess the best way would be to have a micro that has a USB host/OTG controller on-borard. Then, implementing a lightweight host stack that just supports a keyboard is not that bad. Furhtermore, additional devices can be connected and the interface is standardized.

I've made a few devices with USB host functionality and unfortunately there are not a wide range of low-cost integrated chips around so I've been doing it with a separate host controller. I've been looking at the Atmel AT32UC3B series and a highly competent device featuring 256k FLASH and a full-speed OTG controller is well south of $10 even in single volume. In theory, that guy certainly looks very verstatile and is also price competetive with more competent 8-bit micros.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

JakobE
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:06 am 

Right now the Arduino is selling with 16K and a 32K version should follow rapidly (i imagine).
it is using the ATmega168 (soon the ATmega328)
Do you think that it would be possible to manage to fit the minimum in this device to make the yubico works?
The development board is very cheap from 5$ (home made) to 35-40$ the real Arduino board.
The Atmega168 sell about 4$. (but is only 16K Flash 1K ram 512 byte eprom)
The advantage of the Arduino is the community that use it (France, German, USA, Canada, Italy, ... ) so as soon as you have a problem there is someone that have done test with it to help you out.

Thanks for your great product (i own 3)
and quick answer