Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:33 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Reusing OTP passwords
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:53 am 

Hello!

I just received a Yubikey and I have been playing with it on MashedLife and the api server. I am able to reuse one-time-passwords by cycling through a unique OTPs. Maybe I am missing something so I am hoping someone can help me out.

Here is what I did:

1) Open a text editor

Press the button on the Yubikey two times to get two OTPs.

2) Goto these URLS:

http://api.yubico.com/wsapi/verify?id=16&otp=<PASTE OTP1 HERE>
http://api.yubico.com/wsapi/verify?id=16&otp=<PASTE OTP2 HERE>

3) That should have used both the OTPs. Now do it again:

http://api.yubico.com/wsapi/verify?id=16&otp=<PASTE OTP1 HERE>

This returns status OK.

http://api.yubico.com/wsapi/verify?id=16&otp=<PASTE OTP2 HERE>

This returns status OK.

As long as I dont use the same OTP twice in a row, I can just cycle between the two and I always get a response code of "OK". Is this the expected behaviour or is something broke? I confirmed this by logging into MashedLife by rotating through the passwords.

Thanks!
Ryan

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:29 am 

FYI

Tried the same thing, got the same result.

Dick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:15 am 

Yeah, this is pretty disconcerting. I've been able to use an OTP replay attack on a few sites now (as long as I get two OTPs). This makes sense because the API is returning the OK status.

I've emailed Yubico and hopefully once its daylight in Sweden we will get a response. If I get time Ill take a peak at the auth-server code and see if I notice anything.

My understanding was that the OTP had a timestamp in it and the auth-server kept track of the last valid timestamp and would not allow anything to be used before that time.

-Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:49 am 

The OTP does indeed have a timestamp in it as well as a use count, but it is up to the server whether to make use of these to detect replays. Sounds like the servers you tried do not.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:23 pm 

I tried the API server run by Yubico. Without checking the timestamp and use count this isnt really OTP. I should be able to paste 2+ of my *used* OTPs to this forum without fear but I cannot.... you would be able to access my MashedLife and Forum account. Sure I can and should use a pin, but that is beside the point. I will setup my own Auth server, but I would hope that Yubico will change the settings on their public server because a lot of services use it.

Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:34 pm 

Wow, this is really bad. No word from Yubico?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh-la-la... I believe we got an issue here...

We'll check it out immediately.

Regards,

Jakob E
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:41 am 

Any word on this issue? Do you guys have a formal test/QA process? Do you run the latest opensourced version of the server?

The company I work for is trying to find good solutions for 2 factor authentication and I recommended we try Yubikeys. We will run our own authentication server, but it is still important to us that Yubico act responsibly and securely. It would be a shame to ask our customers to use Yubikeys only to see Yubico have major issues or go out of business. I understand the occasional bug, but this is fairly significant issue and it does not seem to be high-priority.

I understand that Yubico is a startup, but these are the questions my management will be asking me and I need to be able to justify our use of yubikeys.

Thanks
Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:27 am 

By my calculations, it was the middle of the night in Sweden when JakobE posted his message in this thread. I'd be very surprised if we don't see a prompt response.

Dick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:00 am 

ryan wrote:
Any word on this issue? Do you guys have a formal test/QA process? Do you run the latest opensourced version of the server?

I understand that Yubico is a startup, but these are the questions my management will be asking me and I need to be able to justify our use of yubikeys.

Thanks
Ryan

Guys, be patient! This is the nature of open source and start-ups. Especially in Yubico everyone is working part-time (I met them in the Identity conference). Staff seems to be in India as I just found (http://www.networkmarvels.com/contact.html).

Everyone is doing their best with their part-time effort. But just like MySQL, it takes time to mature.

Good job