Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Upgrade path?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:38 pm 

aselvan wrote:
anastrophe wrote:
That's a shame. Existing happy customers are the most important resource any company has - and goodwill towards the folks who helped the company reach its current success is fundamental to keeping those customers engaged and thrilled with remaining customers.

It is like talking to a tree. It is amazing that they don't even want to respond to a reasonable request (i.e. discount or swap out keys with 3.3 firmware) from the early adopters like us who supported them in the first place!

I honestly disagree, I've owned my Yubikey for a year now, I don't expect a discount. I purchased my key, and it did what it said. If I want another key, I pay the price that everyone else is paying, I don't deserve special treatment.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:01 am 

More or less ;-)

The problem is that our "developer device" is not developer device anymore, because we haven't access to some applets. We can't test, we can't audit it. We have limited set of toys and it have to be enough for us.

Yubikey NEO is realy great device! It is the best token on market! There is no other security token with USB&NFC on board, OpenPGP support and TOTH keystore.

Just a pity that there is no way to upgrade it.

Almost all of us on this forum are IT guys. We know how it works, we know something about security ;-) and IT reality. Yubico don't want to answer directly: "guys! we are selling hardware, and we need your money". Clear message. Why we can't see U2F applet? Because of backdoor or because something else?
Even answers for u2f implementation wasn't clear. Thanks gods, they published explanation on their blog finally (thanks for it!).

So… Yubico! Keep doing your best! Just tell us more how it works, because we love to know how it works :) And send to us clear messages about your plans (especially about updates), because we have to know if we should buy tokens now, or we should wait for devices with new features (like u2f nfc), because our resources are also limited.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:51 pm 

Automatic wrote:
aselvan wrote:
anastrophe wrote:
That's a shame. Existing happy customers are the most important resource any company has - and goodwill towards the folks who helped the company reach its current success is fundamental to keeping those customers engaged and thrilled with remaining customers.

It is like talking to a tree. It is amazing that they don't even want to respond to a reasonable request (i.e. discount or swap out keys with 3.3 firmware) from the early adopters like us who supported them in the first place!

I honestly disagree, I've owned my Yubikey for a year now, I don't expect a discount. I purchased my key, and it did what it said. If I want another key, I pay the price that everyone else is paying, I don't deserve special treatment.

What if we mailed in our current/existing Yubikey for a discount? Yubico, the company, can either re-sell them at discounted prices to those that do not want/need updated hardware or distroy them, and we get a discount towards the updated hardware we need? Fair?

~TechStud
Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:30 pm 

As I mentioned in this post, I'd be happy to buy your Yubikey NEO from you if your Yubikey has a serial number that has the known management keys (i.e.: the serial number is larger than 3000000 and not between 2624253 to 2624449 and 2624801 to 2625499).

Yubico no longer offers "developer edition" devices like this without signing an NXP NDA, which I am not interested in doing.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 pm 

techstud wrote:
What if we mailed in our current/existing Yubikey for a discount? Yubico, the company, can either re-sell them at discounted prices to those that do not want/need updated hardware or distroy them, and we get a discount towards the updated hardware we need? Fair?

The administrative costs of such a scheme would wipe out the value of any credit, and Yubico would have to pay disposal costs for the mailed in keys. I cannot see any way they could be resold, as each mailed in NEO would have to be wiped of customer data in the apps and tested before resale, which isn't cost-effective.

I know a NEO isn't free but, as I have previously said in the forums, these are relatively inexpensive devices with a high level of functionality, even in 3.2.0 guise.

If you want to upgrade and offset some of the cost, look at darco's offer if your serial number is in range, otherwise why not put your existing NEO on eBay?