Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: [Question] NFC U2F
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:14 pm 

It was mentioned that the NFC (and bluetooth) protocols are still being finalized. Will tokens bought now be able to be made to work with NFC-based U2F when released?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Post subject: Re: [Question] NFC U2F
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:09 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

rpimonitrbtch wrote:
It was mentioned that the NFC (and bluetooth) protocols are still being finalized. Will tokens bought now be able to be made to work with NFC-based U2F when released?

The best answer we can give is "Maybe". While we are working very closely with the U2F NFC and Bluetooth groups, we cannot guarantee anything until the specs are finalized. We would naturally like every U2F NEO to work without issue over NFC, but the final specifications may require some changes to the current U2F applet.

That being said, the current U2F applet on the NEO is fully compliant with the USB U2F specifications, as will not require any changes unless the publicly released U2F implementation specification is modified.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:33 pm 

Would a developer edition NEO that has the ability to manage applets make it a stronger "maybe", or perhaps even a "yes"?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:21 am 

I understand the situation, but I must admit, as someone who just dropped $50.00 on a new U2F compatible NEO I'm pretty disappointed that this wasn't mentioned anywhere in the myriad of docs that suggest that the NEO's support U2F and are NFC compatible (granted never at the same time) You'd think it'd be important to mention that if you are buying the NEO thinking that you can use U2F and NFC that you may need to buy another one when this happens. I understand it 'may' work but just having bought this for that express purpose I'm pretty disappointed. Can I return my YubiKey until I know positively that it supports the functionality that I was promised?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:39 pm 

Carbon wrote:
I understand the situation, but I must admit, as someone who just dropped $50.00 on a new U2F compatible NEO I'm pretty disappointed that this wasn't mentioned anywhere in the myriad of docs that suggest that the NEO's support U2F and are NFC compatible (granted never at the same time) You'd think it'd be important to mention that if you are buying the NEO thinking that you can use U2F and NFC that you may need to buy another one when this happens. I understand it 'may' work but just having bought this for that express purpose I'm pretty disappointed. Can I return my YubiKey until I know positively that it supports the functionality that I was promised?

Dammit, Yubico. You've done this once before. When you sold the old version of the NEO, you touted the impending U2F compatibility of your products, and it took users shouting from the rooftops for you to finally clarify that they would not work, even though you (very cryptically) mentioned that the old ones *may* be compatible. Now, just like last time, you're not being up front with customers when it comes to compatibility. I still firmly believe that you did this in an attempt to sell units.

It's obvious that most users of your products are "tech savvy." With that being said, the "lies by omission" need to stop. Point me to a link to official documentation that states U2F does not work via NFC on the NEO. You can't - because it doesn't exist.

I, too, just dropped $50 on a FIDO-compliant NEO with expectations of NFC capability. I also expected U2F and OTP functionality at the same time (I already have a test version of a FIDO-compliant device). That, as well, is not the case.

So, in closing, WHAT GIVES?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dear Sparky, everyone else.

Currently U2F does not support NFC, the NEO does however for all the other applets/protocols.

Please contact yubi.co/support - with order number, email, - and ask for a refund.

Tom.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:24 am 

SparkyXI wrote:
Point me to a link to official documentation that states U2F does not work via NFC on the NEO. You can't - because it doesn't exist.

It's buried on the wrong page, and not crystal-clear, and I'm not sure I'd call it "official documentation", but something does exist that states this...

https://www.yubico.com/applications/fido/ ... "The U2F working group is currently developing specifications for NFC and Bluetooth, allowing easy and contactless communication with all devices and platforms in a near future."

<rant>Exists or not, it should be mentioned more prominently than that. It took me a while to re-find that blurb, so clearly not obvious. And considering mobile is such a growing platform, everyone involved in FIDO should have made sure they had this together prior to unveiling U2F on the world.</rant>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:57 pm 

Tom wrote:
Currently U2F does not support NFC, the NEO does however for all the other applets/protocols.

So what does the NEO use to talk to the Android demo app via NFC, a pre-release draft version?

Also, will there be an Android client library?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:18 pm 

I must admit, I'm curious as well if the current NFC capability in the Yubico U2F v1.0.1 is looking like it will be compatible with the eventual U2F NFC spec.

Will the NFC protocol that is currently implemented ever be documented if it turns out to not be in line with the eventual U2F standard?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

darco wrote:
I must admit, I'm curious as well if the current NFC capability in the Yubico U2F v1.0.1 is looking like it will be compatible with the eventual U2F NFC spec.

Will the NFC protocol that is currently implemented ever be documented if it turns out to not be in line with the eventual U2F standard?

I don't see any reason that we wouldn't release details of "our" NFC protocol if it doesn't match the final U2F NFC spec (though I can't make that decision alone). So to answer your question: Probably, if there's demand for it.