Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:53 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:34 am 

I recently purchased a Yubikey NEO, it's been configured as per the procedure outlined at https://www.christiaanconover.com/blog/yubikeyconfig. Both slots have been protection enabled. Though I've not yet begun to use it for anything except PC logons it's been plugged into the USB port constantly and I've been noticing unusual behavior of the LED. Normally it flashes quickly once every 2 seconds but occasionally while I'm doing random activities on the PC it lights up nearly continuously with just a brief flicker to off at an irregular rate, as it does when I have the YubiKey Personalization Tool running.

Firmware v. 3.4.9

Can somebody please indicate that this means, how the state of the key may perhaps be different when this occurs? I've searched the forum but not been able to find a direct answer to this.

Thank you!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:25 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

This is exactly how the LED is supposed to behave. Flash every 2 seconds when there is no activity but CCID is enabled. Solid with periodic flicker when it's in use.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:30 pm 

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was wondering ... why should it be "in use" apart from my doing anything to/with it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:25 am 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

In the case of the Personalization Tool it's actively communicating with the YubiKey (reading the serial number, determine the firmware version and what slots are programmed, etc. Outside of our apps, the YubiKey registers as an HID device, a USB keyboard, and a smart card reader with smart card inserted.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:11 am 

Okay, thank you Chris. I just wanted to establish that this is normal behavior. I've had long-standing security issues which appear at last to have been sorted, but my last Yubikey (the NEO n) had been overwritten while it was in the port with the static password changed. So I get a bit jumpy if anything such as this were to indicate continued intrusion.

Thanks again!