Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As a part of a general production ramp-up, we have now introduced a new serialization scheme. Effective with the shipments starting next week, all Yubikeys now have the public id as a barcode + human readable number affixed with a removable label to the back of the sleeve.

This makes our QA and shipment procedure more efficient and helps eliminate handling errors. This certainly apply to the customer enrollment side as well. With the help of a low-cost, off-the-shelf barcode scanner, pairing a user to a particular Yubikey ID is now done in a snap and the error-prone manual entry process can be eliminated.

Rather than the previous scheme with randomized public IDs, the IDs are now assigned in a linear sequence. Although the allocated range would allow us to shrink the public ID from six to four bytes, we decided to pad it with leading zeroes for compatibility reasons.

Yubikeys delivered from now on will be shipped as single devices, in bags of ten each, in parcels holding ten bags (= 100 pcs) and in boxes holding ten parcels (= 1000 pcs). In the transparent bags, the barcode Yubikey with the lowest number is visible, allowing a quick scan of the entire set. The number exposed is always even ten (xxxxxxx0) and the last one is then xxxxxxx9. Each parcel has a label on the outside with the lowest number in the set (xxxxxx00) which also appy to boxes (xxxxx000).

In summary, we believe this will be a great help for all of us as volmes grow.

Regards,

JakobE
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:30 pm 

Question: How about the Yubikeys already deployed - or more precisely their public IDs? I have no idea how many are around, but it is trivial to see, that there may never be two yubikeys with the same public ID. So what do you do if lets say, someone orders 100 Yubikeys and one public ID in that range has already been deployed?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks - a relevant question indeed.

We guarantee that all deployed public IDs are unique. For the linear series, we've allocated the ranges we need within the six byte public ID.

Regards,

JakobE
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:47 pm 

How do I convert from the human-readable ID on the sticker to the modhex value pre-pended to the OTP and back again?

00013127 <-> cccccccceefh

python:
--
>>> from yubikey import decrypt
>>> decrypt.modhex_decode('cccccccceefh')
'\x00\x00\x00\x003F'
--