Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:10 pm 

Coming from this (closed) thread:

"PT not displaying which slot is configured"
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1470

I wonder if the recommendations is for the command-line tool, while I am using a GUI version?

Mine is version 3.0.6-1~ubuntu12.04.1, and called

"yubikey-personalization-gui"
("Graphical personalization tool for YubiKey tokens")
- from the Universe repository.

That seems to be the latest version, but I am not sure if the latest version is avilable through that repository?
I would prefer either using trusted Ubuntu repositories, or at least get the tool from some official yubico domain link. I have seen some links in the docs over the years here that points to personal github repos or the like, which I dont use if I have no way to verify the trustworthyness of the repository in question. Just trying to stay relatively safe.

However, first: which is the latest GUI version of the PT, and where is it hosted?
I could only find some very-developer like instructions on developer.yubico.com, which seems to be for technicians and only for command-line tool?

My initial problem is "PT not displaying which slot is configured", which possibly is solved in a newer version,
but I also would of course like to use the latest version for other reasons too if there is a release somewhere else that for some reason is not available in the official ubuntu repositories.

Last edited by Nomadus on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:18 pm 

This link is to a GUI version, but with some complex instructions, not suitable for normal people:
https://developers.yubico.com/yubikey-p ... ation-gui/

Is there a end-user-friendly installable .deb file available for download somewhere?
(If recommending clients to buy yubikey, and they are using Linux, which more and more people are, also with our help..., then they should have a normal windows-style way of installing the GUI tool, not need a technician just to do that part)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Add this ppa to your apt-rep

https://launchpad.net/~yubico/+archive/ubuntu/stable

Ubuntu 14 .10 does have one of the latest version anyway you should apt-get update time to time...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:51 pm 

Thanks for the PPA, that one is ok, containing the yubico name as the user.
When I first started using Linux a few years back, I think there was another one looking like a normal user account, which I did not want to enter into the software repositories list, so until now, I have only downloaded the version that the universe software repository provided, latest from 2013.

I update the apt-get weekly, so that was not the issue.

Now that I have added a PPA I trust, I got the newest version, .15, and it works and displays the slot status ok for keys newer than 2.2x.

I have some 2.0.2 keys as well, but they probably lack that function, so for them I dont get that slot info.

Suggestion:
In order to make it as easy as possible for non-tech users that are now more and more getting tempted to move from XP to Linux, due to the EOL for XP security updates, it would be great if the latest version of the PT-GUI could be made available through the built-in universe repository.

That would help us make the Yubikey experience as smooth and easy as possible for new, non-tech clients that are already exploring Linux (often with our help).