Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:41 pm 

Hello Forum members,

Currently I have configured two accounts with two factor authentication. The GMAIL and Amazon accounts.

The Gmail works seemless. It asks me to press the Yubikey 4 key and complete the authentication. The sequence works also when I switch between the two laptops, where I am testing the Yubikey 4 portability.

The Amazon account shows a strange behaviour. I was unable to add the OCR code produced during the two factor authentication, because it was not recognized. However, Amazon offers the optional manual code, which eventually worked and allow me to login when the Yubico Authenticator produces the OTP. However, the problem is that if I swap laptop and use the second one, with the same Yubikey 4, the OTP code is not recognized. So, I am unable to use the same Yubikey 4 if I change laptop. Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks.
Regards

Last edited by si18665 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Post subject: Re: Yubikey 4 for Amazon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:11 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

I'm assuming you're using Yubico Authenticator to generate a 6-digit TOTP code (this is the only option I'm aware within Amazon accounts that works with a YubiKey)? If so, have you tried inserting the YubiKey in both computers (one after the other) to see if the codes match? Since it's TOTP, the most logical issue would be that the system times are too out of sync (every time-based implementation is going to have a set amount of time/codes that are considered satisfactory and will be accepted for login). It's important to check the system time first. If the same or within a minute or two, try comparing the timezone settings on both systems to make sure they are correct (I've seen cases where one computer had the correct local time but was set to another timezone, so the actual time was 1 hour off minimum).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:36 pm 

ChrisHalos wrote:
I'm assuming you're using Yubico Authenticator to generate a 6-digit TOTP code (this is the only option I'm aware within Amazon accounts that works with a YubiKey)? If so, have you tried inserting the YubiKey in both computers (one after the other) to see if the codes match? Since it's TOTP, the most logical issue would be that the system times are too out of sync (every time-based implementation is going to have a set amount of time/codes that are considered satisfactory and will be accepted for login). It's important to check the system time first. If the same or within a minute or two, try comparing the timezone settings on both systems to make sure they are correct (I've seen cases where one computer had the correct local time but was set to another timezone, so the actual time was 1 hour off minimum).

Excellent!
You are right. The two laptops time was different and the Yubico Authenticator code now works in both devices.
Thank you very much

Post subject: Re: Yubikey 4 for Amazon
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:44 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

please mark the subject with [solved] :)