Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 am 

So I have a GPG passphrase that I kinda would like to use as a password for various websites, but it's long so kinda annoying to type. It needs to be static/typeable for the occasional mobile device login (i.e. my GMail from my Android phone. That password goes in very rarely).

However, when I followed a suggestion on configuring my Yubikey using a static w/ scan mode, the static string that is output is not the string I typed, which is what I would prefer.

If this is not doable, I might just change the password to something short and static that is generated by the Yubikey, but keep the GPG passphrase as is (since I use it on my phone mostly anyway)

Thank you in advance!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:22 am 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

YubiKey provides an interesting feature called Scan code mode. You can use the "Scan code mode" feature available under the static YubiKey configuration of the YubiKey configuration utility to program the YubiKey 2.0 to emit your own password (of up to 16 characters in YubiKey 2.1.2 and up to 38 characters in YubiKey 2.2) containing alphanumeric characters.

For reprogramming the YubiKey in the Scan code mode static password follow the steps given below:

1. Insert the first YubiKey to the USB port and start the YubiKey Configuration Utility
    2. Select the "Create a static YubiKey configuration (password mode)" from the Select task screen
    3. Select the "Scan code mode" option
    4. In the same screen enter your desired password in the "Scan code input" field
    5. From the "Specify output parameters" screen, select the appropriate parameters (All parameters are optional)
    6. From the "Specify configuration protection" screen, select the appropriate option
    7. From the Programming screen, select "Write to configuration 2 (YubiKey 2 only)" and click on Run so that you can use the factory programmed first configuration slot with online Yubico OTP validation server and second configuration slot for you own purpose. If you want then you can reprogram the first configuration slot as well.

We hope this helps!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:49 pm 

That's what I did, but instead of the output being my passphrase, it seems to be an encrypted version or something?

i.e. instead of 'password' it's '93jfjajrbbak' (just as an example)

EDIT: Figured out what was happening, I clicked the use numbers and mix upper/lower options, which I guess generated a password or did something to the one I put in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:28 am 

In this example, any solution for mobile use other than an entry in lastpass with your static programmed password??