Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:15 pm 

When I touch the Yubikey Neo to the back of my phone, a web browser opens up, having taken a new OTP and presents me with a new web page saying it was authenticated. Nice! Erm.. for what? Authenticated to what site or service? It appears to me, that it is just wasting OTP codes for no purpose, unless I am wrong? I installed a Yubico app which is supposed to copy OTPs to the clipboard but it does nothing and just opens up the web browser and visits Yubico and gives me a, seemingly, useless OTP code usage.

What am I doing wrong or what am I not understanding here?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:38 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

Android settings need to know what to do with any tag that's scanned. If you don't have any defaults set for NFC, Android uses the NDEF programming settings which point to demo.yubico.com to verify the OTP is being sent correctly. I'm not sure what the worry is for "wasting OTPs", you can generate them for years, and you always have the option to later reprogram a new OTP credential using the Personalization Tool, then uploading at upload.yubico.com.

If you install an app like LastPass or Yubico Authenticator then you have these applications that you can select as options in the Android settings for apps that can handle NFC devices, thus changing when happens when you scan you NEO. YubiClip can intercept the OTP to the clipboard and you can paste it into an app/field that doesn't have any NFC intentions set.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:41 pm 

Thanks. Yubiclip is non-functional on my phone. I have mentioned it here and just today on the git. I have no idea if it will be resolved. So I have no experience of how it should operate.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Android is supposed to ask you which app you want to use to open the URL with if you have multiple apps that can accept it, but we've seen several occastions where this doesn't seem to happen and the default app just becomes the browser. I do not know what causes it, but I do have a workaround that seems to resolve the problem:

1. On your Android phone, open the system Settings, and navigate to the "App info" section. Depending on Android version how you get to this section and what it's named differs a bit, but you should end up with a list of all installed apps.

2. Find the YubiClip app in the list and tap on it.

3. Tap on the "Open by default" entry, to show the app defaults.

4. Under "Opening links", tap on "Open supported links" and change the setting to "Open in this app".

5. Close the settings, and try tapping your YubiKey NEO again. If all goes well, YubiClip should now correctly intercept the OTP and copy it to your clipboard.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:54 pm 

I followed the instructions but nothing changed. It was already on open in this app. So I set it to always ask, closed, went back in and put use this app and tried again. Nothing happens. No codes copied, no notifications or anything.