Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:10 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:17 pm 

Just wondering, I believe I read somewhere if I mess with config number 1 of my VIP key then I can't ever recover it, is that true? What about if I restore the whole YubiKey back to defaults?

Also, say I want to add a password to protect the configuration against myself, is there anyway to do that without breaking the Symantec services?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

No there is no way to restore VIP credential if these are deleted. And no, there is no way for the user to restore it to default.

For the second part, do you intended the Access Code?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:23 am 

Tom wrote:
Hello,

No there is no way to restore VIP credential if these are deleted. And no, there is no way for the user to restore it to default.

For the second part, do you intended the Access Code?

What I mean is this:-

How would I enable that for slot 1 without breaking the OTHA Symantec? Because now I'm scared I might accidentally overwrite it, or, some piece of malware might overwrite it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That screen is correct.

If you configuration is not protected already, you should enable the protection and add a secret code.
The use "serial number" checkbox will set the secret code equal to your Yubikey serial padded with beginning 00s

Let me share with you a little piece of human experience: customers often forget that code :) If it gets lost that configuration is locked, no way you can change that.

Write it down! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:39 pm 

Tom wrote:
That screen is correct.If you configuration is not protected already, you should enable the protection and add a secret code.
The use "serial number" checkbox will set the secret code equal to your Yubikey serial padded with beginning 00s

What I mean is, the only way I see to apply it is part of 'updating the configuration':-

Now, assuming I hit 'write configuration', that would protect it, however, at the same time it'd completely overwrite my OATH Symantec key, which, as per your first post, isn't something I want to do.

Is there anyway to apply the protection without overwriting the current configuration?

Tom wrote:
Let me share with you a little piece of human experience: customers often forget that code :) If it gets lost that configuration is locked, no way you can change that.

Forgetting it is kind of what I want to do, if it's impossible to recreate the first configuration, I never want to lose it, thus, I should lose the ability to replace it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok,

Wrong screen, you have to go in the SETTINGS TAB -> UPDATE SETTINGS (at the bottom) -> ACCESS CODE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:32 pm 

Tom wrote:
Ok,

Wrong screen, you have to go in the SETTINGS TAB -> UPDATE SETTINGS (at the bottom) -> ACCESS CODE

Thanks! I also managed to swap my configuration settings, which, was another thing that was bothering me (As I use the YubiKey password a lot more than the OATH), so, two birds in one stone.

Thanks!