Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:10 pm 

How do I restore the Yubico Neo settings to recognize my Neo usb key. I saved my secret key when setting up my yubikey when I first installed it two weeks ago. Thank you.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:27 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

Anything programmed using the Personalization Tool is saved to the configuration_log.csv file (by default this is in [user]\Documents). If that file wasn't backed up before formatting the hard drive, you can't restore the settings, you'll need to program a new credential (not sure what type of credential we're talking about here either - there is a secret key for Yubico OTP, OATH-HOTP, and Challenge-Response credentials).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:37 am 

I setup the Yubikey in Challenge-Response mode. I saved the secret key generated by Personalization Tool. I did not save a configuration_log.csv file. Have i lost the ability to access my data. Thank you for your assistance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:11 am 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

I don't understand what data you would look access to. Why do you need the secret key for the Challenge-Response credential you created? If you set it up for Windows login, for example, and then reinstalled Windows, you can simply use the credential that should already be on the YubiKey that you programmed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:45 pm 

My Keepass 2.x passwords database. I have to apologize for not being more helpful explaining my problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:24 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

OK so you're talking about this (http://www.kahusecurity.com/2014/securi ... nd-factor/), essentially. If you have a KeePass database backed up you should still be able to unlock with the YubiKey as usual. If you're setting it up to a new KeePass install, you would have to program a new Challenge-Response credential so you can associate it with the new database you create.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:01 pm 

I set up Keepass exactly as http://www.kahusecurity.com/2014/securi ... nd-factor/ explained. I did not know if I needed to follow the setup instructions like kahusecurity had in the tutorial again, and not generate a new secret key but use my key from the original configuration. After formatting I installed Keepass again and tried logging in to Keepass but no go. I have been using the Neo key fob for only about two to three weeks. That is why I am so confused about the recovery process. Thank you for your continued assistance. It is sincerely appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:13 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

Unless you backed up all of the KeePass files and the database you set up initially, it's not going to work. I assume you're just trying to create a new database - if so, just go through the setup steps again and program a new Challenge-Response credential on the YubiKey.

Specific questions about recovery options should probably be directed to the KeeChallenge general discussion on sourceforge (https://sourceforge.net/p/keechallenge/ ... n/general/).