Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: OTP REPLAYED
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:11 am 

Hi
I upload new OTP configuration on slot1 of my yubikey taking down public & private ID and my AES key and uploading it to yubico serves.Test replayed OK. Then i try to use the same credentias on the slot2. The purpose of this was to try if in case of lost of my yubikey I will be able to re-set my OTP on another yubikey. Unfortunately server returns OTP replayed login fail. What is wrong? Can't I use the same ID for one yubikey. Is it possible to make in batch mode for couples of yubikeys?
BR

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Post subject: Re: OTP REPLAYED
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:22 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

YubiKey device has some internal counters which along with other configured parameters are used to generate One Time Passwords (OTPs). These counters get updated on when a YubiKey is powered-up (inserted into a USB port) and for every YubiKey button touch.

This counter information is also maintained on the server side and used for validating the YubiKey OTPs and updated for each OTP that is successfully validated.

The details of Yubico OTP algorithm are described in details at: http://static.yubico.com/var/uploads/Yu ... al-2.0.pdf

Therefore it is not recommended to configure multiple YubiKeys with identical configuration.

To address the situation if a user lost YubiKey, many applications allow assigning multiple YubiKeys to the same user account and some applications also offer interface for administrators/users to reassign new YubiKey(s) in case the original is lost.

Thanks!