Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:08 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Russell Coker wrote:
It seems to me that if I was to use a Yubikey to authenticate to multiple sites, and if one of those sites was compromised or the key was captured in-flight then the attacker could use it to login to other servers.

Right, and two ways to combat that would be to use two-factor authentication (a password) and design the web page so that it requires multiple OTPs in order to do important operations. When you get multiple OTPs, you can compare times between them, to detect passive attackers.

Quote:
Realistically, few people have a threat model that involves an attack of that complexity (for basic 0wnage the simpler attacks work well enough that the bad guys are kept busy and wealthy). Also for the case of ssh access a skilled attacker could own the terminal and take over a session once it was authenticated, fake a BSOD and make the user think that they just lost access. A few hours of access while the legitimate user thought that they were having technical problems could do a lot of damage.

Yeah, there are limitations to what we can do, but our target is to do something simple that is "good enough" for many purposes.

Quote:
Also even if a device using Yubikey technology (USB keyboard based) had a battery and included a time-stamp, this would not prevent an attacker from logging in to server B within a matter of seconds of me logging in to server A. So the battery backed keys that display a number are also vulnerable to the same attack. It seems that solving this properly (in a cryptographic sense) would require that the key receive a challenge from the server.

As the caps-lock light is used for sending data to the key, I wonder if (using hardware that is more advanced than the current Yubikey) it would be possible to have an enhanced mode of operation which uses the caps, scroll, and num lock lights to transmit 3 bits of data per baud to send a challenge from the server, that should allow sending a 32bit challenge in a small amount of time but would require client software to manipulate the LEDs.

Yup, we have thought of that and _many_ other ways to do a platform-independent challenge/response mechanism, but we haven't come up with a good solution... Yet.

The problem with caps/etc-lock light is that it isn't cross-platform: Mac OS X treat each USB keyboard attached to it as separate devices, with their own caps lock etc status. In other words, pressing caps-lock on one keyboard doesn't change the light on other keyboards. I understand X.Org will change to similar mode in the future, because it allows the operating system to control each keyboard separately (i.e., you can have one US keyboard and one Swedish keyboard both working at the same time).

We may eventually do a YubiKey that can accept a challenge via a USB HID command, but it will require client software on the host computer. Writing it for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux etc will be possible, but it isn't as neat and convenient as the YubiKey is today. You probably will need some kind of admin capability on the machine as well.

/Simon

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+