Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:03 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:51 am 

Hi,

I was looking to use Yubikey VIP through the OTG cable on my Nexus 7. However this does not seem to be working. I have verified keyboards work just fine.
I can also see the stead green light when I plug it in and in "Languages & input" it is identified as "Yubico Yubico Yubikey II". However if I press the button for 1.5 or 3 seconds any app - nothing gets written to the text field :(.
Is this a known issue or is there smth that could be done about this?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the Yubikey works otherwise (pc) then it looks like that your devices has some problem recognizing usb keyboard.

Is your Yubikey configured properly?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:52 pm 

My "device" (which is nexus 7) is working OK with any other usb keyboard - I have verified that. And my Yubikey works works fine so far with my Macbook Air.
How do I verify my Yubikey is configured properly? I did not change a think after it arrived.
Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If it is emitting a Yubico OTP on your mac then it is working. I would be sure that your nexsus supports usb keyboard and the cable is working properly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:41 am 

Tom, I'm sorry in case I confused you, but I think I have clearly mentioned that keyboards work fine via that cable. Even wireless keyboards do. So there is no problem with the cable.
And if there was a problem, then I believe the key wouldn't have been identified as a keyboard. The problem is that the text does not get emitted. Yubikey is no flashing after touch. Yet it has a stable green light.

Can there be a problem with the latest Andriod OS versions? Are you claiming that Yubikey VIP + Nexus 7 (via OTG cable) works in your labs?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, we never tested that in our labs.

However there have been reports on this forum that it works.

Do you have an Y cable? Because it could be that your phone does not provide sufficient power for the Yubikey. Similar came up once here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=951&p=4494&hilit=otg#p4494

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:35 pm 

First off: Nexus 7 is not a phone - it's a tablet!

As chmac mentions - he also has the same trouble. I will try to get a hold of the Y-cable and test it. Although that would be much of a stretch since Nexus 7 has only 1 micro-Usb outlet. So I will need to find an AC-to-US converter, plug the Y cable to Nexus S and converter and then try the Yubikey. So much for security...
In the meantime I tried this to work with the latest Nexus 5 smartphone - no luck. it doesn't even show the green light(meaning the phone has even less power on the port, or does not anticipate that kind of devices at all).
Will report back once have any results..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:43 pm 

I have exactly the same problem trying to use my Yubikey with a Motorola Moto G Android phone. The phone works with normal USB keyboards fine, and plugging in the Yubikey it recognises a "Yubico Yubio Yubikey II" and the solid green LED comes on, but pressing the button does not do anything and no text is enetered into the text field.

This doesn't sound like a power issue, otherwise why would the phone have detected the Yubikey. Might it be more some slight difference in the way Android implements the USB keyboard comms which hasn't been tested during development of Yubikey?

One of my main requirements for the Yubikey was to have something that would work with my Android phone as well as my PC (so I can have 2-factor authentication for the Lastpass app on my phone), so it would be really useful if a way could be found to make this work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Check if your devices have host mode, that could be the issue.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... heck&hl=en

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:29 pm 

Using the application you suggested yields :
checkmark - android.hardware.usb.hosts.xml - OK
X - handheld_core_hardware.xml - not found
X - tablet_core_hardware.xml - USB host not enabled.
I'm running latest Android 4.4.2 unrooted. Kernel 3.1.10-g4776c68