Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:29 am 

I just got a project dropped on me and I'm trying to figure out if I have an NFC reader issue or a Yubico driver issue.

I'm using an SCM SCL010 reader which is setup and appears in the Windows Device Manager as a SmartCard reader. I think I have all the Yubico drivers installed, but when I try to read the NEO, the Device Manager registers an unknown smart card. I think I have initialized the NEO correctly and I'm able to configure it from the USB port.

Do I need to write some software to read the card?

When I read the NEO with my Android phone the NFC reader is able get data from the NEO and take me to the Yubico site so I assume the NEO is functioning properly.

Am i missing something here?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

Could you please add some information on what are you trying to achieve? Do you want to send some payload (otp, password, hotp...) over NFC via NDEFv4 or you want to use the OpenPGP applet via USB?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:54 pm 

I guess I'm trying to read the NDEFv4 as I'm trying to read to tag wirelessly. I wondering if the reader I'm using isn't the correct one as it wants to read the EO as a smart card. We'd like a OTP if this is possible.

Am I using the wrong reader?

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 pm 

As i get my head around this issue i have more questions.

Because the SCl010 reads the NEO as a smart card I have to ask, Is this the intended use of the NEO? If so it seems that what is needed is a Smart Card minidriver that conforms to the Microsoft Smart Card minidriver spec.. Does such a minidriver exist? If the NEO is intended to be a Smart Card then the minidriver is something that Yubico should really make available to end users.

If the NEO is intended as a Smart Card and a minidriver doesn't exist is one planned, or do end users like me have to write them ourselves?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you want to read the OTP you will have to program the Yubikey with the cross platform personalization tool.

By the default the Yubikey NEO has the Yubico OTP in slot 1. If you did not change this you just need to go to the NDEF programming part in TOOLS and complete the set up.

(slot 1, URL for the OTP)

Then simply tap the Yubikey NEO to your NFC reader. And you will have your URL+OTP for your validation service.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:53 pm 

More information.

Apparently, if you examine what is read off the Yubico NEO we see the following in the XML file:

</Value>
<Value name="tagType" description="Tag type">ISO/IEC 14443-4 Smart Card,
Mifare Classic 1K (emulated)</Value>

This will cause any combination NFC/Smart Card reader to assume the tag is a wireless smart card and it will try and process the card as a Smart Card.

If we examine the reading from a standard NFC tag in the same reader we see the following:

<Value name="tagType" description="Tag type">Mifare Classic 1K</Value>

This value causes a NFC/Smart Card combination reader to correctly determine that the tag is an NFC tag (only). Both of these readings were taken from an NFC reader App on my Android phone.

Is there a way to edit the tagType attribute to remove the ISO/IEC 14443-4 Smart Card designation? As I see it I have to either edit the tagType attribute, use a reader that only understands NFC, or use a tag that is not the Yubico NEO. Or, someone has to write a Smart Card driver for the Yubico NEO.

If a Smart Card driver is to be written it should be written by Yubico. I could do it (I have done one for another Smart Card), but it seems to me I'd be wasting my time if Yubico intends to develop a driver. Does Yubico intend to write a Smart Card Driver for the NEO?

If the NEO is not a Smart Card then why does it say it is one?

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is because there is no application on the NEO that Windows knows by default.

This is not really an error, just information that Windows Card Services cannot use the card, It still works fine with PC/SC for example