Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:33 am 

I would like some clarification on a couple of issues to do with the example files from Yubico and several other people that can be had from Google code.

The way I see it from reading the copyright information at the top of some files, is that I can use (and modify) the example files any way I wish without a problem. However, if I use the file unaltered, then I must retain the copyright info at the top.

So I can take a couple of lines or an entire function from one of these examples and re-use it if I wish? Is my understanding correct?

I am not trying to rip-off anyones work, I intend to submit my code to Google eventually, but just want to be clear on this.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:27 pm 

In short, for yubico's source code, you can feel free to take the pieces you want to w/o worrying about anyone going after you. Since we strongly believe a community-driven development approach.

For other 3rd-party code, you may want to read the copyright notices. Most are open and clear about what you should do.

Cheers

:idea:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In general, the safest approach is to always retain the copyright notices and license statements for any code that you copy. The license needs to permit others to copy, modify and redistribute copies, but all free software licenses permit this. Including the licenses Yubico uses (normally the BSD or the (L)GPL).

/Simon