Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:53 pm 

I just got a Neo thinking I could use it with Android native VPN application, ie. all it would have to do is spit out the OTP to a text field, just like normal Yubikey without NFC would. Now I'm having a bad feeling that this isn't going to work..

- By default it sends a Yubikey demo URL followed with the OTP and this triggers the phone to open a browser
- Neo will not directly function as a "wireless keyboard", typing the OTP..
- ..instead an application would have to register an intent, grab the OTP and *then* spit it out to the text field (preferably this app would have to work in the background, not opening any apps to the foreground but instead spit out the OTP to whatever text field is active)

Have I understood these points correctly? At the moment there is no such application available in Google Play. I guess this wouldn't be an huge task to do? It would allow the Neo to be used with phones web-browser, whenever there's a site that requires Yubikey authentication (as well as enable easy VPN/any other app use).

My bad for not understanding what I was buying, I was under the impression that Neo = wireless Yubikey..

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 pm 

You're correct, the Neo sends an NFC (NDEF) packet, not act as a BT keyboard.

The Yubikey Neo demo app shows that an Android app can register an intent to intercept the text or URI that the Neo is programmed to send. They've made demo app open source so that a third party can program a more dedicated application. A colleague of mine is doing just that....

https://github.com/Yubico/yubikey-neo-demo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:10 pm 

I've been using the demo app succesfully, by always choosing the "copy to clipboard" option and then pasting it to whatever field I need. It's just too bad there's no application to straightforward the process as described in the first post, effectively turning the NEO to wireless USB Yubikey. Windows 8 tablets would especially benefit from this: right now the NEO won't work with them at all (USB obviously works, but then you need an adapter for micro-usb which is clumsy).