Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:53 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:43 am 

The Yubikey manual (v3.3) says the “Yubikey Neo features a high-quality, cryptographically secure random number generator”. Is there a tool to get some random numbers from a Neo onto a PC?

Presumably the Neo implements javacard.security.RandomData.generateData(…) as an API to the high-quality RNG. That makes the RNG available to applets on the Neo, but is not sufficient to expose the RNG to a PC tool via an APDU. Do any of the standard applets (OTP, OAUTH, PGP, PIV, U2F) support an APDU that returns randomness?

Presumably the high-quality RNG is used when yubico-piv-tool.exe is used to trigger a Neo to generate a new RSA or ECC key-pair. I was hoping there was another command that returns values from the RNG directly.

Last edited by jamesmanger on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

The PIV applet exposes a way to get out randomness. It's a bit of a hack but is exposed through opensc as well. The APDU in question would in this case be:
00 87 03 9b 04 7c 02 81 00
which will return 8 bytes of random data for every call.

/klas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:14 am 

Thanks Klas,
That is a GENERAL AUTHENTICATE command (INS '87') specifying 3-key Triple DES in ECB mode (P1 '03') with the admin key (P2 '9B') and requesting a challenge (tag '81' in dynamic auth template tag '7C').
That works (after selecting the PIV applet 00 A4 04 00 05 A000000308). It returns 8 random bytes after a couple of tags (7C 0A 81 08 <8 random bytes>).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:29 pm 

This is a little easier than dealing with the card protocols directly, if it works for your use case (and for other readers who may want to use the card's RNG, it's directly usable in scripts etc):

Code:
echo "scd random 128" | gpg-connect-agent

This sends a command via stdin to gpg-connect-agent, which sends it to your currently running gpg-agent, which in turn sends "random 128" to scdaemon, which should, as I understand the scdaemon command protocol, ask your card to generate 128 bytes and return it to you. You should see your Neo's button flicker every time you run this command. Remove/reinsert your card or run gpg --card-status (or both) if it complains about the card not being connected.

Granted the output isn't exactly clean (it spits out response characters like "OK" along with the entropy sample). I believe it should be possible to have it output this in the GnuPG "machine readable" format (the one used by libgpgme and enabled by gpg's --with-colons option), but it doesn't seem to work as an option to gpg-connect-agent.

Even so, the output of that scd command should be predictable, a script or program could pretty easily account for it (awk could trim it too, but I'm not so good with awk :D )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:33 pm 

Touching this older and interesting thread.
mrsteveman1 wrote:
This is a little easier than dealing with the card protocols directly, if it works for your use case (and for other readers who may want to use the card's RNG, it's directly usable in scripts etc):
Code:
echo "scd random 128" | gpg-connect-agent

Not sure whether someone's mileage will vary, on my current system the raw binary data is formatted such that all \n, \r and % characters are escaped with url percent encoding, chopped into ~1000 char pieces carefully not to split any escaped symbol, and put into separate lines prefixed with D and space, so i can nicely extract the raw data when i extend the pipe with:
Code:
| perl -pe 'chomp;s/^D\s//;s/%(0[AD]|25)/chr(hex($1))/eg;if(eof&&/^OK$/){exit}'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:54 pm 

Code:
$ gpg-connect-agent
> scd random 32
ERR 100663404 Card error <SCD>

The scd random command words on my Yubikey NEOs, but not on my Yubikey 4s. It fails with the card error seen above. Any ideas why?

Also, to contribute some nice formatting for outputting random numbers from the Yubikey:
Code:
$ echo "scd random 128" | gpg-connect-agent | sha512sum
a45477d57d8bac1988d52efc36b0b8c72e6e2f5c2f2abdc605b64feea60ca20f96e728faf4ec6e20b7722d9dc3d130ca88510e4f294ce5881c5c2ae5a2c3f4b3  -
$ echo "scd random 128" | gpg-connect-agent | tr -dc 0-z | xargs
D?KAj81p<o=F@vNhSDD_c10Dt8N9SIp9Y3OK