Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:21 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:04 am 

I'd like to use my iPad with a physical token, and think Bluetooth is a good way to go about doing it. Blackberry already has a similar solution for smartcards, so this must be possible : http://security.stackexchange.com/q/2195/396

Just imagine, if you walk out of range of your iphone/ipad the device locks automatically. If that is too feature rich, I'd be happy with a bluetooth-keyboard. It could be powered by the USB jack on the device, or an external battery pack.

Here are some security notes regarding Bluetooth
http://security.stackexchange.com/q/26356/396

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion, we will have it go around the company.

We have had some thoughts around that. Unfortunately BT has a lot of issue and tokens with batteries have a lot of issues, but you never know...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:50 pm 

Why not provide a small jacket into which you slide the NEO - this jacket would provide a battery (replaceable) and the necessary circuitry to interface with the NEO as as provide BlueTooth (and possibly other wireless protocols as well).
Come to think of it - why not provide a jacket attached to a ring into which a NEO or better still a NANO and that way creating a real type of Google ring.

My 2 cents on this post...

Erik van Asperen.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi,

We are working on something cooler...

;-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:15 pm 

Is there a ETA, in which I may be announced?
Got some people at our company who have iPhones and can't use the Neo like I can use it which NFC :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:09 am 

Tom wrote:
Hi,

We are working on something cooler...

;-)

Any update on this?

From what I understand Yubikeys now work on any computing device with USB or, in the case of Yuibkey NEO, NFC support.

We are considering using Yubikeys to secure a web service with a target audience of normal consumers. These consumers do not choose our service; our service is provided by our customers (health care organisations) to consumers as a way to view health related data — their own, or that of relatives or friends who granted them access.

The FIDO U2F Yubikeys are not too expensive, and work on any normal computer; for a lot of users this is probably sufficient in terms of accessibility.

I am worried though about the growing group of consumers who exclusively use mobile phones or tablets for their computing needs. For Android devices NFC is an option of course with the Yubikey NEO, and as far as I can tell most of them have a small-form factor USB-slot that can be used for the FIDO U2F Yubikey with a common adapter cable.

But what about Apple's devices? I know there is an adapter for the IPad to get a USB-slot, but that that solution seems lacking in user-friendliness, not to mention its price. Newer Apple phones seem to have NFC-chips, but no one can use them except for Apple as far I know.

How do others approach this? Simply exclude such devices from your service as insecure? Provide another type of hardware token? Does Yubico have something nice up their sleeve for Apple devices?